The family laughed at me all the way back from Oklahoma because I was testing out options in my mind for the shorts I wanted to achieve. I wanted to use the leftover PacMan fabric from T's bathrobe and add red piping but didn't have enough fabric :(
I went diving into my stash and found this summery Stretch Yarn Dyed Cotton Shirting in Plaid Turquoise/White. It is 98% cotton 2% Lycra.
It met the softness test for Mr. T and I had just enough with 1.5 yards. I bought it from Fabric.com back in April 2012 for a total of $5.07.
I used Ottobre 06/2011 Pattern #37 because it is one of my favorites. I like how it looks and I knew I could modify it to the shorts I wanted. Previously I had made blue check pjs, planet pjs, and terrycloth pjs out of this pattern. T likes the longer "skater" style in the shorts.
I traced a size 146 this time instead of a 140 because the other 3 pjs are getting a tad small. Then I put my medical exam paper over the front shorts pattern piece and traced out the pockets I wanted on the front - and added appropriate seam allowances.
Everything worked out smoothly and I had no problems. I didn't look at the instructions because I've sewn them enough to know what they say. I love the piping details I added; they make the shorts a bit special.
Mr. T walked in mid sewing and said "Whoa, those will be like awesome mom" and walked out. I had to smile.
And we are slowly adjusting to back home-ness from our 2 trips a month apart. Whew! It was fun but exhausting.
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~