Sunday, June 9, 2013

Zigzag Skirt and leggings ~ Ottobre 03/2013 #30 & #33

#30 ZigZag jersey skirt

I still had a bit of fabric left over from the maxi dress on Friday and I wanted to use it up.  I also wanted to try Ottobre's Zigzag skirt from the 03/2013 issue.  It is a simple cute skirt and Miss K needs more bottoms.

I traced and cut a size 152 for Miss K who is an 8-10 RTW in bottoms.

I love that this skirt uses less than 1/2 yard of 60" wide fabric. That is perfect for leftover pieces.  The pattern is simple, two rectangles.  I cut the skirt portion on the crosswise grain with the stretch and the bottom ruffle on the lengthwise grain as the pattern suggested, but also because I wanted the "electric" stripe to be on the ruffle.
The "I don't want to take any pictures" face


 I followed the instructions mainly because I wanted to see if anything new was brought up. Honestly I was going to sew the sides together first before attaching the ruffle but the pattern states otherwise. I did what I was told and the skirt came together beautifully.  I didn't hem the ruffle because it is knit it will stay nice and not ravel.


Outcome: I love it.   Easy, fast, carefree, and perfect for summer fun. I may do a few in cotton.

Breakdown: 1/2 yard of Cotton Blend Jersey Knit Hibiscus Blue/White  $4.74
No lining because K always wears leggings under her skirts. 

#33 Chica Ciclista leggings

Next I wanted to try the Chica Ciclista leggings to go under the skirt.  I used the most amazingly soft fabric!  This pink knit is heavenly.  This is another pattern that uses less than 1/2 yard of 60" wide fabric.

I traced and cut a size 152 for Miss K who is an 8-10 RTW in bottoms.  I should have went with the 146 because they ended up too big.

The pattern is another simple one but leggings are a staple in our house.   I let Miss K help and sew all the seams - I did the hems and waistband.  She was happy to create her own clothes.


The instructions were good - nothing out of the ordinary here.  I like how Ottobre has the elastic waistband attached.  You don't thread it through the casing.  It is cool and keeps the elastic from twisting around.


Outcome: Not loving it but that is because I used too big of a size.  The rise is a bit high - coming to her belly button.  I will try it again in a 146 and possibly take an inch or two out of the rise. You hardly see them from under her skirt so they will work until I make the smaller ones.

Breakdown: 1/2 yard of Stretch Jersey Knit Solid Bright Pink (96% Rayon 4% Poly) $1.50

I hope to make a tank out of the pink to match this outfit into a top/skirt/and leggings.

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

2 comments:

  1. The twirly picture is cute! And so is the band aid on her knee. :D I really like the ruffle on the bottom if the skirt. I am thinking I need one with a ruffle on the bottom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brooke! This child always seems to have a band aid on some part of her legs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.