Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Easy and Fast Perfect Hems!

Hemming: not hard, but definitely time consuming. It's during the final stretch of a wonderful piece that you are met with this beast.  I don't enjoy hemming because I just want to get to the finished garment already! :-)

Well I'm throwing out my hem measuring tool and going an easier and faster route.  (This is for a double fold hem - but also would work for single fold with serged edge)

Want to know my secret?

Step 1: Mark of 1/2 inch seam on your sewing machine (or use what I love: a nifty -cheap- Magnetic Seam Guide ). Then sew with a stitch length of 4 all around the bottom of your garment.

Step 2: Have your iron hot and press that up so just the bottom of that thread line is folded.
This is super easy to do all the way around the garment because of the thread line - it flips up so nice and fast - plus there is no stopping to measure.

Step 3: Press up again with the hot iron and pin.

Step 4: stitch all around hem 1/2 inch, just catching in the double fold on the backside.

Enjoy nice, even, fast, and easy hems every time!


~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.