Whew! I finished it! I will call this the "unpick dress" because I had to unpick so many stitches.
Simplicity 1801 - View C (the bottom blue one)
My measurements (37-29-44) put me in a size 14 bodice, 16 waist, and 20 hip. However, looking at the handy finished garment measurements I opted for a size 12 bodice, 14 waist, and 18 hip. I was drawn to this pattern because of the waistband. My waist being the smallest part of me I like to place some emphasis on it instead of my large hips ;-)
Instructions: The instructions were great - to be honest. If you slow down and follow them exactly you will have no problems. I had to keep stopping myself from skimming because that is when I made errors. View C does not list pattern piece #5 as needed but this is the neckline facing and clearly is needed as you work through the directions - be sure to have it included.
The waistband facing attachment really got me - only because I couldn't visually grasp which side was meant to be left open (the left side of the dress is open for the zipper). After 2 failed attempts I laughed at my silliness and moved on. Next time I will just lay the pieces on as they will end up and that will help me know which side to sew.
Before cutting into the fabric I completed these adjustments based on my body:
1/4" high round back
1/4" forward shoulder
1/4" square shoulder
If made again I need to also do a 1/4"-1/2" hollow chest adjustment and a swayback - on the bodice part in back.
I interfaced the zipper area on the wrong side of fabric. I only had a 12" invisible zipper not a 14" but it worked fine.
I stitched the midriff band in the ditch to catch the midriff facing on the backside. I didn't slip stitch this.
After I tried it on the bodice just hung on me and the cute underbust gathers were too low. I unpicked the front yoke piece and shortened it by an inch. This seemed to help - it also raised the very low neckline to a more reasonable spot.
The bodice still poofs out in the bust area quite a bit so I will need to wear a tank top under this. I'm not sure if I should attempt a 10 in the bodice or not. I like the design and would like to try it again in a lighter fabric such as a voile or lawn. The cotton I used is a bit heavy for the dress. The gathered skirt has quite a bit of fabric and swooshes when I walk. Overall I like the dress and will get lots of wear out of it this summer. Oh, and the length - I'm 5'7" and I think the length was good. I serged the hem and folded it up 1/2" then coverstitched the hem. I didn't want to double fold and lose that extra 1/2" though.
Stash used: 6 yards
Fabric Out: 15 yards
Fabric In: 2
Totals for the year to date:
Stash sew this year: 24 yards
Fabric out in 2014: 93 yards!
Fabric in 2014: 77.5 yards
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~