Seems like deja vu around here again. I've returned to one of my favorite, ultra versatile patterns: Ottobre 06/2011 #37.
Other times I've used this pattern:
Altered to shorts with piped pockets Jun 2013
Terry Cloth pj shorts Feb 2013
Space pj shorts with mock fly Jan 2013
Blue gingham shorts with mock fly Jan 2013
This pattern is for pajama shorts; however, this time I've altered them again in a different way.
Up first: Long PJ pants with elastic waist and drawstring.
Mr. T is hitting a growing spurt and finally needed some pajama pants. This kid never seems to have a shirt on for bedtime and could sweat in the winter. I wanted to make him something that would be cool and comfortable but last through the winter.
I took the shorts front and back pattern pieces and measured out T's inseam +1 inch from the crotch point of each piece (front and back). Then I extended the legs down to this measurement. It wasn't hard at all. I also added the waistband to the top of each pattern piece instead of having it a separate waistband. I eliminated the mock fly.
Next I sewed them the same as I would for the shorts. I added buttonholes 1 1/4 inches down from the waistband on each side on the front for the drawstring to come out. I folded the fabric 1/4 down and pressed (on the waistband) and then attached the elastic in the round with a zigzag stitch. Next I flipped the waistband down and sewed with a straight stitch all the way around creating the elastic waistband and the casing for the drawstring all in one. I made bias strips and used my 1" clover bias tape maker to make the drawstring (sewing down each side when finished). After all this I fed the drawstring through the elastic casing on the pants and hemmed the legs.
I also added a little pocket to the back of these.
Overall sewing time was probably 45 min. I was very happy to use up this fabric in my stash.
Fabric: This project took the full 2 yards I had. It is Pet Park Blue Hamsters Having Fun by Caleb Gray Studio for Robert Kaufman Designs. I picked it up in 2012 for $6.10/yard so total cost was $12.20.
Next up: flannel PJ shorts.
Nothing much to say here because I've made them many times. The fit is wonderful and the length is perfect. I added the waistband to the front and back pieces because I didn't want a separate band. I eliminated the mock fly also.
I sewed these up in 1/2 hour. I used the same waistband elastic method as I did for the pants: Fold down fabric 1/4 inch on waistband; attach elastic in the round with a zigzag stitch; fold it over again and this time I zigzag stitched the waistband part.
This was a fabric that has long sat in my stash.
Fabric: 1.5 yards of flannel purchased at Hancock's long ago. I don't even know how much I paid sadly.
It is so nice to have a TNT pattern for Mr. T. And now I'm off to work on some nightgowns and a dress for Miss K!
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~