I really dislike pleated front shorts so I took to modifying these "Grass Green Linen Shorts" from Ottobre 03/2012 #33. I traced and cut a size 152 for Miss K who is a 10 in RTW. I should have made them a bit shorter because K is shorter than the 152 length but she asked for longer shorts.
(side view showing those lovely pockets!)
I modified these to have a flat front and elastic back - I eliminated the zip fly completely as well as the belt loops. I added contrasting pink to the pocket pieces and made bias of the pink for the elastic casing in the lower pockets. I loved the elastic pockets on the bottom - it is what drew me to the pattern.
(It is weird expression day)
I followed the instructions Ottobre listed up to and through the leg pockets. I skipped over the zipper part, stitched the crotch and inseams and then did my own thing with the waistband. I love the double needle stitching in these shorts!
(She just discovered the pockets)
From tracing, to cutting, to sewing, to finish was 4 hours of my time today. It was a nice stress reliever.
The fabric I used from leftovers after I made my Colette Beignet the other day.
0.5 yard of Microfiber Twill Solid Royal Blue 60" wide (100% polyester) - $2.97 for the 1/2 yard
not my first pick but I do love the color. I was happy to use this up. It is very soft but frays easy and snags easy too.
and now for a swim!
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~