This idea came to me last night. It isn't a complicate design and it goes together quickly.
- First I took my waist x 1.5 (I like my skirts lower on my waist so I used my "pants" waist measurement of 36; therefore ending up with 54 total *I chose not to add seam allowance because my fabric was a nice 54" wide.
- Then I measured from my "pants waist to the floor, or where I wanted the whole skirt to end up. For me this happened to be 36" also!
- Next, the bottom ruffle is 12 inches + 1/2 inch for the top hem to lay on top of the other panel; so 12.5 inches. Take the bottom ruffle of 12 inches and subtract it from your total length (for me of 36" = 24 and add 2 inches *1.5 for top elastic hem and 0.5 for bottom hem to lay under bottom panel; for me = 26")
- Ok now I have all my measurements ready. For the top panel I need two rectangles 27" wide x 26" long, after cutting them I serged all 4 edges of both.
- For the bottom panel I need two rectangles 37" wide x 12.5" long, after cutting them I placed right sides together and sewed, then serged each end. Then I sewed rolled hems on the top and bottom of the now round bottom ruffle.
- Place right sides together for top panels and sew each side. Place gathering stitches in bottom panel on the topmost part. Attach to skirt by laying top 1/2" of bottom panel with rolled hem over the top of the bottom serged "top panel". Make sure when sewing that the 1/2" stays overlapped and you are sewing through the middle. Remove gathering stitches.
- Add elastic to the top.
I used 1.5 yards of 54" wide Rayon Challis. $6.35 total. "Garden Rayon Challis Tropical Floral Coral/Blue"
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~