Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Nightgown for Miss K ~ Mix-up of Simplicity 2831



I know, I know.  I seem to sew up a lot of pajamas.  It's just that I love, love, love flannel and my kids love fuzzy things.  I have a ton of flannel I need to use up before my big fabric binge in 3 weeks here.  I've been on the search for a cute nightgown pattern for Miss K and I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
Today I took a mix-up of Simplicity 2831

Simplicity sewing pattern 2831: Child/Girl Sleepwear size K5 (7-8-10-12-14)

I used pattern pieces for the top of View C and the bottom and back pieces for View A.  Miss K was with me in my sewing room and picked out the buttons she wanted and the ribbon.  I pleaded for a deep blue but she is all about the pinks and purples.


I vaguely followed the directions because I remembered sewing the last nightgown from View A.  I really didn't like the placket part and it doesn't look so nice after being washed and dried.  I used a straight size 8 for Miss K because she is growing like a weed.  :(  Where did my baby go?


The top has a ribbon by the gathers, it is just topstitched on.  Miss K stated "no bow" so it is just the ribbon. I should have incorporated it to the back too now that I sit and think about it but oh-well.  We added the 3 purple buttons on the chest for some decoration.


The sleeves have elastic in them.  I used the same pink ribbon for the casing.


The neck had bias tape that was supposed to be exposed on the top but I really didn't like it; so I flipped it over and topstitched her neckline.  It turned out great. (don't look at my terrible nail polish!)



All in all it was really simple to do and took me only an afternoon.  The bottom ruffle I ended up flipping in half so I didn't have to do a hem ;-)

The best part about this fabric is that I snagged it from clearance remnants at my Wal-Mart. 1 1/2 yards for only $2.73!! :-)  YAY!  It looks so cute on Miss K.  I'm happy with how it turned out but I still am searching for the perfect nightgown for her.  (I have a vintage pattern I want to try out next but with some soft cotton).

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.