Wednesday, March 19, 2014

How are they holding up? Nov-Jan edition

Let's look at how things are holding up that I've sewn November 2013 to January 2014

November:

From Top Left to Right:
Burda Tie-Tank Top 05/2007 #130
Made: Nov. 10th
Outcome: still in the closet, again it has been too cold - but I do like it and hope to wear it in the summer

Ottobre 06/2013 #38 Leggings
Made: Nov. 21st
Outcome: Miss K likes these but only worn them once; however, it has been so cold so she hasn't had an opportunity to wear them really

Jalie 2805 for K
Made: Nov. 21st
Outcome: It is a bit snug in the belly part but K loves it and wears it a bunch. It is holding up well

Jalie 3242 Undies for K
Made: Nov. 21st
Outcome: K likes these and wears them - they are holding up well.

Ottobre 05/2013 #1A
Made: Nov. 30th
Outcome: I wear this as often as it is clean. I love it to pieces but the blue knit is bad quality and is pilling.  I hope to re-make this with a better quality blue knit (I still have enough of the gray)

Also in November:

Burda polo shirt dress - terrible fit issues
Made-ish: Nov. 21st
Outcome: still in this exact place. I haven't fixed it or worked on it.  I'm avoiding...

December:

Jalie 2918 for T
Made: Dec. 19th
Outcome: The green one was the tester so it is a pj top - it is so soft and really has washed and worn well.  The light blue on the left with the fox I was so proud of but T decided it wasn't cool enough to wear to school. :(  He stated that he liked the shirt but wanted the design bigger. boo.  It is now a pj shirt but it has washed and worn great - it looks just like the pic still.  The last bright blue tee on the right I was going to put the zelda (green shirt) picture on it but after T proclaimed his dislike for the smaller graphics I just left it plain.  It is a nice weight cotton jersey with some spandex.  It washes and wears like a dream and he has worn it to school a few times.  Ya can't win them all.

January:

From Top Left to Right:
Jalie 2805 Pj Top and Ottobre 06/2013 #38 bottoms
Made: Jan. 9th
Outcome:  The top is great and is being worn tons.  The bottoms were too tight and split the first day. They have since met their demise and gone into the trash.

Jalie 3243 pj shorts
Made: Jan. 9th
Outcome:  These are great. They fit perfectly and K is wearing them to bed a lot.

Ottobre 01/2009 #28 jersey tunic
Made: Jan. 12th
Outcome: I have K wear this every time it's clean. I freaking love it to pieces.  It has washed well too.  I couldn't be happier. (I love this design!)

Sewaholic Alma
Made: Jan. 25th
Outcome: Sigh. I'm almost sorry to type this but after all that fitting and muslin-ing I hate the sleeves on this.  I love the fabric and I love the top - I just hate the sleeves because my armpits show.  I saved some of this fabric so I'll be seam ripping and re-doing the sleeves before I wear the top. But I will wear it because I love it!!!  I just need to fix those darn sleeves before it gets warmer.

Lady Skater
Made: Jan. 27th
Outcome: Well, this was my tester for this pattern.  The sleeves are too big and the neckline too large too.  I have this in my re-purpose bin because it won't ever get worn.  I will re-make this pattern though.

So how are your makes doing? Are they wearing well? Out of the 15 things I made 9 are being worn in public. (granted, 2 more could be worn but T is choosing not too).  So 60% -73% of what I make is a success - I can live with that.  

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

15 comments:

  1. What a great idea to review your makes like this, it will help in future planning for sure. I get so disappointed when stuff I make isn't just right - it really helps to know others experience this, too. My absolute favourite garment has got to be K's red and white Ottobre tunic - to me that is the perfect little girl's dress,and I would like one of those contrast t's myself! I couldn't believe it about the Alma though. Embrace your armpits lol! It's funny how everyone is different - I love cap sleeves! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philippa! I always wonder if some of the makes people sew up actually pass the wear-ability test. I get disappointed too when things don't fit in the end :)
      I do love that Ottobre tunic of K's - I so wish it was in my size!!!
      (and I'm laughing so hard about the armpits!!! hahaha)

      Delete
  2. What a neat idea! I'm a bit afraid to do the stats on my makes . . . I mostly wear grungy old sweats and t-shirts because I always seem to be cleaning or cooking something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D oh Gail, you make the most beautiful clothes! I tend to be a jeans and tee kind of person too - that's why I make so many tops ;-)

      Delete
  3. I just did a similar post! :) I hope you make the Alma work for you because it looks so good (and you worked so hard on it!!)
    All of Ks makes are the cutest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! I'm determined to make that darn Alma work! lol

      Delete
  4. Every time I see your Alma, I can't wait to start working on mine! I know the feeling of stenciling now with the design needing to be bigger. I just painted on my son's jersey I made and although he likes it and wears it, it wasn't quite the design he had in mind. He wanted something larger and more detailed. I'm just not there yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and did you get this month's Burda Magazine? Wow! They have some great designs in there this time. I love the top on page 7!

      Delete
    2. It is a little disheartening to make something and be told it isn't cool enough. But, at least they tell us what they wanted so next time we can attempt ;-)

      And that April Burda.... OMG. I'm in love, for real!

      Delete
    3. Me too! For a while I was wondering why I bought a subscription since I don't see much I would make for myself....until this issue! I already bought some fabric for a couple of things I want to make.

      Delete
    4. :) I was thinking the same thing Shirley; I seem to like many of the older issues. Rural WI just isn't very fashion forward! The april issue looks amazing though!

      Delete
  5. Wow that's an amazing selection! And even better that most of it is worn. I really love that you sew so much with jersey. It is my preferred textile as well :) But I had to laugh that your son didn't want to wear the shirt because it was not cool enough, hihi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniela - I do love sewing with jersey :-)
      and yes, those darn boys LOL

      Delete
  6. I really should go back and do a review like this; it's very interesting. And now you have a pictorial log to help jog your memory of what you like and don't like - it's so easy to forget that, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do a review like this Joy, I'd love to know what is still holding up out of all the things you sew. I do tend to forget what I don't like, very easily!

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.