(proof that I do smile - sort of, lol)
Adjustments I made this time around:
- 1/2" square shoulder
- added the SA to the neckline that I forgot last time (oops)
- added 1" to the front neckline so it wasn't so low cut
- 1/2" added at hip front and back
- 1.5" added to hem
- 1/2" swayback
It seems like a lot, but really it wasn't and they were all easy ones. I wanted to do the forward shoulder adjustment but forgot. next time. . .
I matched the stripes perfectly on this baby - on purpose. How cool that it actually worked out for me!
I serged all seams except the hem. I basted the ribbing with my regular machine in the neck and arms before serging, and then top stitched both with my cover stitch (which I also used for the hem). It went together fast and it turned out great.
Yes there is still a mild amount of back pooling but at this point I don't care. I have some small pull lines under the bust and it is because my hips are pulling the shirt toward the back. I will work on that next time too by adding another 1/2" to just the back hips.
My cover stitch handled this like a dream. Thanks Gail! I did switch my serger power cord with the cover stitch and it helped tons with my speed and control. :D
It's a winner and I will most likely wear it as often as possible all summer. I have a very small range of comfort with temperature. Some days I can be cold while wearing a sweatshirt in 80º F weather, other days I need this tank when it's 70ish - so it will come in handy when layering and looks better than just a plain ribbed tank. The purple and gray stripped tank I made previously has journeyed to the pajama drawer because it is just too thin and too short.
Oh, and this is Betty. She and I have had major differences since she arrived. I'll try to make the story short. I received Betty for my birthday last March. She arrived in a mangled, busted up, dirty box. I tried to send her back for 3 weeks to the company. They attempted to have FedEx pick her up that whole time. Betty sat on the outside porch for all of it - taunting me with her large box each day. It actually became a joke with my kids as if Betty would be gone or not each day.
Well, Betty left one day, but then found her way BACK the next!!! (FedEx is terrible in our area). Things were worked out with the company and Betty stayed, in her box, for the next 6 months or so. Then I decided to bring her out, fit the shell, and stuff her into it like a sausage. Betty has a lot of foam on her. It was hilariously terrible to do all this. Sigh. Oh Betty. She still didn't fit my measurements and I gave up.... until yesterday.
I brought out the butcher knife and started hacking away at Betty's large areas. Then I sewed that shell even smaller and had to sit on her while my husband zipped her up. The foam was everywhere and it was hard to breathe so I don't recommend it. Betty is close enough to my measurements in that I just plain give in to her. She has a much broader back than me, her waist is larger, and I had to put socks over her arm stubs because the foam sticks to everything and I can't put things on and off without the socks. Plus I can't adjust the swayback in the shell because of the zipper.
I told you it was a story! So while I tolerate Betty, I don't really like her.
Stash used: 4 yard
Fabric Out: 23 yards + 11 scrap pounds
Fabric In: 13 yards
Totals for the year to date:
Stash sew this year: 17 yards
Fabric out in 2014: 77 yards!
Fabric in 2014: 68 yards
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~