Sunday, November 10, 2013

Burda Tie Tank Top ~ 05/2007 #130

I know, I know, it's not summer.  The warmth is far from here now; but I wanted to make this top for a long time and finally found the perfect fabric.  So this tank is neither season appropriate nor color appropriate for fall.  That's fine by me.


Cold weather has arrived, so crappy indoor pictures will be the norm until May :(  boo.


Ok, Burda 05/2007 #130.  I fell in love with this top when browsing the magazine.  It looked beautiful on the busty model so naturally, I wanted to make it up. It is an easy sew and a cute design.  I bought 2 yards of this crazy tropical floral print from fashionablefabricclub.  It is labeled ITY Red Multi Jersey Knit, 60" wide and is a poly/lycra jersey.  $4.95 a yard.  I decided the print was too busy to have all over so I only used it for the front and used a blue from my stash of unknown knit.
26595

close up of knots

This tank has huge ties coming off the top of the pattern so 1.5 to 2 yards is needed for that length.  These ties then make the front and back - attaching in the back.  I cut and sewed a 40 at the bust and sloping to a 44 at the hips.  I didn't make any adjustments. I did however fully line the front because my fabric is pretty light - Burda has you half line just the bust.  I also added a modesty panel because this top is very low cut. And I didn't gather the straps in the back but now seeing the pictures, I think it would have been cute to do that. I also added clear elastic to the neck "V" to help stabilize (from the modesty panel down and back up again). The modesty panel is attached to the lining only because it was added at the last minute.


I followed the directions and they were sufficient.  I spent some time on the internet looking up pictures of knots but then decided these were just the easiest.  The lining peeks out in the front no matter how much understitching and pressing I did. The fabrics were slippery so I used a combination of tissue paper and wonder tape when sewing up. I also used my serger whenever possible.


Conclusion: Love it. Even though I won't be able to wear it much in the winter I still love it.  This will be great for the summer heat.  However, it is a bit big on me so in the future I'll sew a 38 on top but keep the 44 on the hips.  And, even with the modesty panel, when I bend forward everything hangs out.  So a smaller bust size and tighter straps would work great.

wearing with a cardi for winter takes the fun knot detail out :-(

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

10 comments:

  1. I love the print of the fabric! I like the knot detail, but I like the layered look with the cardigan too. Layering is my favorite way to wear my clothes in the fall/winter - I can get more wear out of summer items. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I completely agree :) And boy has it gotten cold fast around here!

      Delete
  2. I love it! I wear tank tops year round. They are comfortable to me and then I just layer. So, I would totally make this with snow on the ground. LOL I keep debating on whether or not to buy a subscription to Burda, because I keep seeing some really cute stuff coming out of the magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley Ann! I need to start layering more. You should totally buy a Burda subscription. They are like Ottobre - maybe the directions are just a smidge more difficult to understand - but you would get it. and they have great things for us!

      Delete
  3. So you just need the sun lounger and cocktail! I'm not sure how I feel about off season sewing myself - I always want to wear what I make straight away - although actually it's quite sensible. Come the summer you will be prepared and I will be stuck inside on the sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa. I would love a cocktail and some lounge time. It is soooo cold right now. 10 degrees (Fahrenheit) this morningI think? brr.
      I also want to wear what I make right away ;-)

      Delete
  4. You got such a lovely fit and finish. Well done, it fits you really well.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure when summer finally rolls back around it will be my favorite thing to wear :D

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.