Monday, March 17, 2014

Kwik Sew 3342 Misses Pajamas

As I get the hang of my new cover stitch I wanted to test out some techniques on it without ruining something nice.  I made up a pair of pajamas for myself using Kwik Sew 3342.


(View C with rounded neckline)

I used view C but rounded the neckline.  For the top tank I cut a straight size small.  I performed a swayback adjustment as well as square shoulder.  I also tried the hollow chest adjustment by darting out 1/2" from the neckline towards the armpit. I added 1" to the length hoping to fold and hem it.  I attached Picot elastic to the neckline and armholes.  The top fits pretty good.  It was short still, even after adding that inch so I just sewed a rolled hem to the bottom. If I make it i again I will be sure to add at least 2" more to that hem.  It was comfy enough to sleep in all night last night.


For the bottoms I cut a large and held the paper up to my body.  I realized right off the bat that the rise was way more than I would ever like.  I took out 1.5" out of the rise.  I attached the Picot elastic to the leg openings.  When I tried these on I laughed so hard.  The crotch part hangs lower than the leg openings but they are wide.  These are almost like boy short underwear but with wide leg openings.  They were silly looking and uncomfortable.  The rise was still a good 3-4" too much for me, too.  I will not be making the shorts pattern from this again :-)

(I should have known with the crotch so low like that)

(NOT flattering at all)

I used 2 yards of a thin jersey from my stash.  I picked it up some time ago for $3.95/yard with the intention of using it for this pattern. As for the cover stitch learning -I used it for all the elastic top stitching and it's going well but my machine flies.  I barely hit the pedal and it zooms.  I need to find the sweet spot because I can't keep my stitches straight when it goes so fast!

(mostly straight...)

March Totals:
Stash used: 3.5 yard
Fabric Out: 22.5 yards + 11 scrap pounds
Fabric In: 9 yards

Totals for the year to date:
Stash sew this year: 16.5 yards
Fabric out in 2014: 76.5 yards!
Fabric in 2014: 64 yards

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

14 comments:

  1. Cute fabric! I honestly would not have thought about rounding the v-neck--what a great idea. I don't like v-necks, so I pass on those views, so now I have an option. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! I don't care much for v-necks either :)

      Delete
  2. It's a shame about the shorts as I really like the print you choose. It's so pretty. Maybe you could sew up a pair in a complementary solid, if you're not going to wear those. I had to smile - they do look like an unusual shape! I am enjoying reading about your adventures with the cover stitch. They are pretty rare in the UK. I am not sure I would be ready for one anyway - threading my Overlocker is still a challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa :) It is a shame. I was hoping to have a cute pj outfit. I will have to find a solid color - great idea. I think the green would be my color of choice.

      Delete
  3. So pretty.. Love that fabric.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a pretty set. I had some Liberty fabric in a very similar print. Unlucky with the bottoms.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! mmmm I wish I had some liberty! ;-)

      Delete
  5. These jammies are so darn cute!

    Reading this post reminded me that when I first got my coverstitch machine, I had trouble controlling the speed too. But it seemed like after I used the pedal a few times, it sort of loosened up - like it was stiff at first. Also, if you have a Brother 1034D serger, the pedals are interchangeable, so you could try switching them up to see if that helps you control your speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail and OMG you are a genius!!! Yep I have the 1034D too, I'm going to try switching out the pedals today and see how it works out :D Yay!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what an interesting shorts pattern (: The top seems like a workable pattern, though. And jammies are certainly a good place to test fit adjustments and a new coverstitch machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very interesting :) they are so wonky. On the flip side though, the top is great.

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.