I wanted to make K a t-shirt dress sort of like a mini skater. I saw pattern #26 Pumpkin Pie Jersey Dress in Ottobre 06/2013 and knew it had potential. Why buy a new pattern when you can use one you already have, right?
(apparently I can't take a straight picture lol)
I traced the bottom front skirt (piece 3) and used it as both front and back for lower skirt in it's entirety, not as pieces. I also traced the bodice front (piece 1) from the center front on just one side to make it possible to cut 1 piece on the fold. I cut the back bodice on the fold too - not adding seam allowances to that center line. I made the sleeves short sleeves because we are hopefully on the warm up around here.
When sewing I assembled just like my lady skater dress and used clear elastic tape in the waist part. This fabric is a rib knit but stiffer because of the orange print. I didn't' want the waist to stretch out or sag. The shoulders have fusible stay tape and I opted for my normal neckline of folding the strip in half, sewing it, then flipping and top-stitching it down.
I sewed a size 140 for the bodice, sleeves, and top of the skirt panel. I then graded out to a 146 near the hip to bottom of the skirt. I also tried a hollow chest adjustment in the front bodice by darting 1/4" out. I think it fits her much better in the top. I love the overall fit - it has a 60s mod appeal to me. I'll definitely be making this again for her and love that the actual dress pattern uses different fabric pieces (awesome for using up scraps). I would say that I fit this on 1 yard of 55 ish inch wide fabric.
I used my new cover stitch machine on all hems, the top-stitching on the neckline, and top-stitching the waist seam. Wow! I love that thing. This saved so much time on this dress. And it sews sooooo fast - I need to get a bit better with my control of it, but man I love that thing. (does anyone with a brother 2340 know how to make the looper thread a little tighter? I've tried the looper on 9 with needles on 3, then 8, then switched it to looper on 3 and needles on 8. I'm ok with how they are now but would prefer them just a bit tighter.)
I also whipped up this pair of pj shorts out of the craziest piece of scrap. (pattern Jalie 3243) It was only as wide as each leg and very long. I would have to say it made up about 1/2 yard out of the stash. K has a kwik sew nightgown in this fabric and she is also happy to have the print in shorts.
Now that the cover stitch is set up I am chomping at the bit to sew a million things. :-) It's almost too bad that I have to make K an Easter dress because I'd rather sew so many other things.
Stash used: 1.5 yard
Fabric Out: 20.5 yards + 11 scrap pounds
Fabric In: 9 yards
Totals for the year to date:
Stash sew this year: 14.5 yards
Fabric out in 2014: 74.5 yards!
Fabric in 2014: 64 yards
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~