Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Liebster Blog Award ~ What is it? and Thanks for mine!

Liebster_blog_award

I was recently nominated for a Liebster Blog Award by black label (thanks Angelique!). At first I wasn't sure what it was.  After some searching I came across some great answers.  In a nutshell, it is basically a blogger's way of saying "You're one of my favorites! Great job."  It is a great way for fellow bloggers to nominate or pat on the back other bloggers that they admire.  I'm pleased that I came to someone's mind and quite honored :-)

So here are 11 questions that Angelique came up with for me to answer.  Next, I get to nominate my own favorite bloggers and they get to answer my own 11 questions I devise.  How exciting!  This is a great way to get to know each other.


{Q1} How long have you been sewing ?
I started sewing long ago in high school.  We were offered home economics as a choice and I thought it would be an easy A.  My mom always sewed our Halloween costumes and things growing up so I had a bit of exposure to it.  My final project was a sunflower sundress.  I did a good job and actually wore it!  After that I sewed here and there up until December-ish of 2011 - I've been sewing heavy since then. 
{Q2} What is your go-to pattern & why ?
I think I am a one-night-stand pattern user.  I tend to use a pattern once and then move on.  There are so many that I want to try and each time I use a pattern I learn something and get better.  If I had to choose one pattern that I love and made many times it would be Simplicity 2377; I've sewn from that pattern 4 times.  I love the tiered look, it's fast and easy to sew, and my daughter loves the fit. Green Sundress, Kitty dress, Easter dress, and my favorite, the Owl dress. 
{Q3} Is there a pattern that scares you but you still willing to give it a go, if so, which one ?
Not too much scares me in the world of patterns.  I'm willing to try anything once.  I do not sew Butterick because I've found their directions stink.  Ottobre had me a bit worried at first because of the tracing of the patterns (there are tons of lines on those sheets!) and then the instructions with no pictures.  I've found that once I get into a pattern my worries dissipate and I just go with it. 
{Q4} Have you ever made something for yourself & then never worn it ? & why ?
Oh yes.  I made this skirt here.  I was so excited about it and loved the fabric.  I didn't like the end result so I have not worn it, ever. *Personal information incoming* I haven't sewn much for myself because I've been on this crazy health roller coaster the last couple years.  Getting my gallbladder removed Feb 2012 was the icing on the cake; I have some pretty severe issues with eating foods - my stomach just refuses a lot of things.  So anyway I've been loosing tons of weight - this makes it hard to sew because my size keeps changing.  However, I've maintained my current weight for the last 5-6 months and hope to sew lots for myself soon!  (I just got a dressform for my birthday too! This should help).
{Q5} BurdaStyle, Ottobre or Patrones magazine – which is your favourite ?
I am in love with Ottobre.  I have to admit I just subscribed in January and just started sewing from them, but I'm hooked!  I haven't tried BurdaStyle yet but I just might.  
{Q6) Do you have allocated time for sewing or do you grab the moment when it presents itself ?
I don't really have allotted time for sewing; I mainly just do it when the moment grabs me. This is usually when I'm feeling up to it.  I like to sew during the day when no one is home, though!
{Q7} Do you stash fabric or buy as & when required ?
Oh I hoard.  I hoard fabric by the masses.  I love it!  I'm obsessed with all the different textiles, prints and patterns.  I like to look at fabric and can imagine it as the finished product so I buy it and there it sits.  I'd love to have my own fabric store so I could admire all the awesome prints but yet not put us in debt! LOL. 
{Q8} Besides sewing, do you have any unrelated hobbies ?
I do!  I am also a World of Warcraft addict.  We are video game junkies in my house, always have been.  My husband and I have been playing World of Warcraft together for the last 7ish years; both my kids have played at some point.  We also enjoy our Wii U and Xbox 360 often.  If I'm not sewing I'm usually on a video game.  
{Q9} If you were given cash (€100, USD100 etc) what is the first thing you would spend it on ?
Fabric.  I'd spend any amount of money I was given on more fabric!
{Q10} What could you simply not live without ?
My husband and kids.  I know it's a corny answer but it's true.  Without them I wouldn't have a purpose.  
{Q11} Tell me one thing I dont know about you!
I just turned 34 and my internal clock is no longer ticking; It's screaming at me.  I would love, love, love to have another baby.  I'm not so sure my body agrees with that (see Q4) but it is one of my goals for the next year or so. (Maybe that was too personal? LOL).  

How about this, I used to be a coupon addict as well.  I spent 2011 getting a lot of things cheap or free. It took me a whole year to realize most of the stuff we don't use and most of the things with coupons are not very healthy - so I dropped the habit and gave a lot of it away to friends and family that needed it. 


Whew!  That was fun!  I hope you all learned a little more about me.  Now here are 11 blogs that I love and follow - they inspire me to sew more! (No particular order).

1. The College Seamstress - Elizabeth you rock!
2. 21 Wale - Joy sews amazing Ottobre - she inspired me to subscribe
3. daniKate designs - Angie is another great sewer, I love to see what she's made
4. Whoopsy - I've followed Kristianna for a long time now!
5. Toferet's Empty Bobbin - I recently started following and love her humor!
6. Hammer & Thread - such cute crafts on this blog!
7. Amanda's Adventures in Sewing - seriously wonderful sewing
8. Queen of the Flies - beautiful dresses and cute children's clothes
9. NanaCompany - awesome stitching!  beautiful fabric choices
10. Made by Meg - recently started following - great sewing!
11. True Bias - a mixture of everything crafty and wonderful

And here are their questions.

Q1.  What drew you to sewing?
Q2.  What is is your most favorite thing you've made thus far?
Q3.  How many hours a week do you sew?
Q4.  What is your favorite pattern company to sew from?
Q5.  Who do you like to sew for most?
Q6.  Roughly how much fabric do you have stashed? some, a lot, or I'm buried!
Q7.  What do you like to do besides sewing? Other hobbies?
Q8.  Who inspired you to start sewing or who inspires you now?
Q9.  What made you want to start a sewing blog?
Q10.  What sewing item are you dreaming of getting, regardless of cost?
Q11.  Tell me something about you that most people who read your blog do not know!

Thanks for reading and thanks for participating!



~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

3 comments:

  1. hi kristin, loved reading your answers & thank you so much for being a sport & participating :-) so cool to get to know more about you. chat soon.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I finally rounded up all my favorite blogs and have posted my response! http://megmadethis.blogspot.com/2013/04/liebster-award.html

    It's such a fun way to introduce people to all the small-time blogs we love to follow! Thanks for the nomination :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin! I finally got my answers up! Here's the link if you would like to read my post. http://thecollegeseamstress.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.