Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ottobre 03/2011 #33 "Tools" Sleeveless T-shirt (Tank)

This is the final thing I sewed for Mr. T for the "celebrate the boy" sew along. I have 5-ish things for Miss K up next as well as 2 for myself.  Also I'm still pretty sick with this retched cold.

Ottobre 03/2011 #33 "Tools" Sleeveless T-shirt (Tank)

TRACING: There are only 2 pieces for this pattern.  They look a little funky at first because of the way you overlap the back to the front.  I traced and cut a size 152 for Mr. T who wears a size 10 RTW.  I knew it would be a bit big on him but I wanted it to last all summer.  I liked the look of this tank with the cool neck line overlapping.  

FABRIC:  Pirate Adventure Cotton Double Knit; 25-35% Stretch.  44"/46" wide. Pattern called for 3/4 of a yard of single jersey with 30% stretch.  I had a good bit of fabric left over. The binding was a Designer Stretch Rayon Blend Rib Knit in Cobalt.  It has 50% stretch and was really slippery to work with. In the future I'll go for more of a cotton rib and not a rayon rib.

SEWING: There is a lot of binding in this pattern.  That took almost the whole time of sewing the piece.  You bind the front neck and back neck pieces.  Then you overlap them and bind each armhole.  It is smooth sailing after this because you just sew the sides and hem the bottom.  This was a fast project with great results.  I would suggest making sure the overlap pieces are just right because when you bind them they will look funky if you didn't get them just right (see bottom pic). Also, the tank is long in length so keep that in mind.

I love this tank.  I think I'll make a pink version for Miss K.  



Perfect armholes!

See the green arrow?  This is where I didn't quite overlap good enough and the arm binding didn't catch the neck binding all the way. 

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.