Monday, October 29, 2012

Gone to the Dogs ~ Simplicity 2099

It's getting really cold right now in Wisconsin.  Our sweet little teddy bear puppy freezes her fur off outside.  When we shave her down she really can't tolerate it.  This makes for a hard time getting her to go outside to do her business.

Ah, Nala, my third child..... :-)
She is my shadow all day and night.  Poor thing is sooooo spoiled!

(When we first got Nala she was a tiny little pooch! - a few weeks old)


(Then our baby grew a tiny bit to what she is today, 9 whole pounds! - 1 yr old)

I made Nala this fleece coat from Simplicity 2099:
Simplicity sewing pattern 2099: Its So Easy Dog Clothes size A (XS-S-M) Simplicity sewing pattern 2099: Its So Easy Dog Clothes size A (XS-S-M)
Its So Easy dog coat in three sizes sewing pattern.

to help keep her warm.

It was really easy to cut out the pieces and I used some leftover Brewer Fleece I got back here from Fabric.com.
 Free Shipping on orders $35+

What I didn't like was the shoddy finishing they called for on the edges, simply fold over and zigzag??  Wow. 
Since I was using fleece I didn't have to bother with any of that, but If I used something else I'd probably double flip the hem and sew.  

  Also, no matter what I did the darn arm holes would not line up right.  I don't know what the issue was.  Maybe the pattern had me cut the arm holes too big?  I fiddled it together in the end and sewed it up.  I also didn't want to mess with the collar because I was using bulky fleece so I sewed 3 sides of the collar pieces together and flipped them to sew to the main part.

(The "mom why are you chasing me around" look)

In the end it all came together o.k.   The darn sleeves are slightly too tight on Nala though so she doesn't like it too much (she does have a broader little chest).  


If I were to make it again I'd pick a cotton or canvas top fabric and fleece for the under part; cut two extra of everything and sandwich them all together. 

Either way, this coat works for the time being (now I just need to find or make her some booties!!!)
Sorry for the blurriness. It was so hard to take a pic of her dancing while holding the camera and the treat!!!


It's not as thick a coat as the one below, but it was only a few dollars to make.

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.