Sunday, October 14, 2012

KCWC ~ Last day! PJ pants ~ Simplicity 2874

2 reasons why I chose to make these pants today.

  • I didn't want to do anything time intensive today because I have a paper due for class and I wanted to start Halloween costumes tomorrow. 
  • I'm trying to find a great fitting pants pattern for Miss K so I can make her some cotton, flannel lined pants.  So this pattern was a test pattern :-)
The monkey flannel I picked up from Wal-Mart's remnants.  1 yard x 45 inches wide. only $1.60 - works for me because it is so cheap I didn't care if I messed up!



The pattern I picked to try is Simplicity 2874 in View F.  Simple and straightforward pants with two pattern pieces; you end up with 4 fabric pieces. (on a side note, I plan to use this pattern to make the dress in View A soon!).  The pattern stated for 1 3/8 yard fabric in a size 8.  I only had a yard but flipped one piece upside down to get it to fit.  This didn't affect the crazy monkey pattern but if you had a directional print you may need the 1 3/8. 

No frills pattern.  Sew the front to back of inside legs, then crotch, then outside.  flipped down waist, insert elastic, flip up bottoms and hem.  Done.  No issues and only took me about 1/2 hour from cutting time to finishing time. 






I like the length and legs of these pants a lot.  They have a slight flare to them.  What I don't like is that the rise is not big enough in the back and too big in the front.  The butt part is snug and there is bagginess in the front.  I'm not sure exactly how to fix this.  Maybe I should add more to the swoop part in back?  I don't know yet.  Either way the pants are cute and Miss K won't take them off. 






~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.