Tuesday, June 30, 2015

New Look Cowl Tank and Long Skirt

My husband had a family reunion on Sunday and I wanted to make a quick new outfit to wear to it. I procrastinated until Saturday of course.  I wanted to make something  comfortable to wear as we had to drive a ways to get there.  I also expected hot weather. 

 

I prewashed, traced, cut, and sewed up these two all on Saturday.  I’m pretty proud of myself because I usually can’t sit and sew that long without pain.

1skirt cowl 008

First I made the cowl tank: New Look 6470, View B

64701

This is the same pattern I just made the other day in View D.  I also made it in view B twice last year (purple muslin and blue floral).  I love cowls but hate the lining flipping out all the time.  I fixed this by making the cowl lining the entire length of the shirt.  Essentially for the pattern you have the front with a mirror of the front up on top of it and then this all flips in half so you have cowl and underlining all in one.   It worked slick and now I don’t have to worry about any cowl flipping out.  (I like the extra coverage in front too).

2skirt cowl 021

Size: 14 for shoulder and high bust, 16 at waist/hip; I took 3/4” out of the back neck in a slant to 0” at the bottom. I remembered from last time that the back neck was huge on me.  This accounts for 1.5” total out of the back neck. I added 1" to the hem as well.

3skirt cowl 027

Fabric: 2 yards Black Matte ITY Jersey from Hancock’s, just bought for this project on Friday.  $11.18

Thoughts: I love this top. It is lightweight and feels great to wear.  It looks better than casual but not overly dressy. The fabric was easy enough to sew.  The only downfall is that it tends to snag easy. 

 

Next I decided on New Look 6054. View A

6054_SR_EN_A.indd

A simple skirt that doesn’t really require a pattern unless you are lazy like me and do not feel like putting any thought into it. I made this skirt way back in 2012 out of a linen blend and it is so comfortable to wear.  I had cut the pattern out in a size 14, sorry that won’t fit these hips! However, it was super simple to grade the pattern up to an 18.  Essentially if you follow the pattern sizing you would add 3/4” to the non-folded edge.

5skirt cowl 097

I was squeezing this out of the 2 yards of fabric I bought, pattern calls for 2.5 yards of 60”.  I left off the tie for this one but did put in the button holes in case I change my mind.  I just didn’t want the added bulk at the waistline. 

6skirt cowl 096

My fabric is pretty wild, perfect for a simple pattern.  I picked it up Friday from Hancock’s, too.  2 yards for $12.98.  It was on sale and I had a coupon.  Rayon Challis.  I hung the skirt for half the day Saturday before I hemmed it.  It grew just a tad, I had to take 2” off the hem. 

4skirt cowl 099

Sunday came and I was all excited to wear my outfit – but the weather decided to rain and turn cold. HAHAHA.  Oh well, I love the outfit and will wear it often this summer.

10 comments:

  1. Nice outfit :)
    Wow, how did you manage to finish two garments in one day?? That's some speedy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! This skirt pattern is new to me....or rather will be when I buy it! Ha ha. At least I'll get off cheap since New Look isn't expensive. I've always wanted a long skirt but I wonder if I am too short to wear one. No matter, I can do the shorter version. this is a win/win with it looking great and quick to sew! A good make for when you want to sew but don't now what or a confidence booster when sewing goes bad. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Thanks Shirley, You are never too short to wear a long skirt ;-) The shortest version was like mini skirt on me so make sure you measure. It is great for busy prints and it was nice to have that confidence booster. We all need them from time to time! :D

      Delete
  3. Both pieces are perfect together. Love that skirt print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this outfit, too bad you didn't get to wear it. Thanks for the tip on the cowl, I love wearing them but hate the flipping out as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Levone! I'm sure I'll wear it lots this summer though. I agree on the cowl - that flip is so annoying! :D

      Delete
  5. The outfit is beautiful! I would love for you to link up to the Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party on Sunday night at 7PM @ BehindtheSeamsSewing.com.
    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! I'd be happy to hop over and link up :)

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.