We have had a few hot days lately and that brings tanks to my mind.
First up is Burda 10/2014 #103; This is a long-sleeved top and dress in the magazine. I made the top before in long-sleeve and loved it but it was too tight.
I was confused at how to sew the top initially. Burda’s famous directions didn’t help me much at all. I loved the top enough to buy the sew-a-long video for it. After 40-some minutes of watching I really only needed 1-2 minutes of the video; however, it was worth it because I loved watching someone else sew and learned some new techniques. In the video the gal mentioned turning the top into a tank – AWESOME! So I had to try.
- The pattern states to add 5/8” seam to the back neck but then later tells you to trim it to 3/8”. So I just made it 3/8” to start with.
- I sewed a 38 in the shoulder and high bust, 40 in the bust, and 42 in the waist/hip. I also added 1/2” to the back hip only (to accommodate for my large rear)
- I them measured the flat pattern and was happy with the results.
Gosh I love a cowl neck top. I’ll admit that my cotton/lycra was a bit stiff for the cowl but I still love it.
Fabric: 1 yard of Jade cotton lycra from Purpleseamstress.com $6.50
I tacked down (hand sewed) where the back crosses over the front by my neck. I found that without the tack the front didn’t like to lay right – it kept slipping to the armpit. I also took 2” off the hem – it was super long (I’m 5’7”). I think it turned out great in fit and I can’t wait to try it in an ITY.
Next time I’ll add a 1/2” swayback
Up next is Burda 05/2007 #109A
- This time I used size 40 in shoulders/42 in bust and hip.
- I added 1/2” to back hip only for my large rear.
- I adjusted for a 1/4” square shoulder, 1/2” swayback, and added 1” to front neckline.
- I used my binder attachment on my cover stitch to attach the binding.
Fabric: 1 yard Cherry Red Jersey Knit (cotton/lycra). I purchased it August of 2014 from fashionfabricsclub for $5.50. It is thinner than the purpleseamstress knits. In hindsight I should have used this for the cowl top and the other for this top, lol.
I love this top, however I think I made it a bit tight and too short. I will be remaking again in a bigger size and much longer!
I’ve been doing a lot of prepping patterns this last week. I have 2 skirts traced, prewashed, and cut. I also have another tank ready to sew and a pair of underwear. Now I just need time to sew them! What is on your cutting table?