I know, I know; I said I was done with swimsuits, but they are so addicting, and fast!
Miss K loves all her swim shorts but she keeps complaining about the tanks. I got so tired of it that I picked her up a rash guard at goodwill a few weeks ago. She loves it but it matches none of her bottoms and is sort of big on her. The other day she wore it in our pool and I got an idea to use a Jalie pattern to make her a rash guard myself. I mean, it’s really just a swim t-shirt. (How crazy it was for me that I sewed this up yesterday and then seen Dawn’s blogpost this morning that she sewed up 3 with this same pattern!)
I traced out Jalie 2805 with her exact measurements because I wanted it snug. “M” for the shoulders/bust and “O” at the waist/hip.
I lined the front piece with the aqua so that nothing should show through but the strawberry ended up being thick enough.
I also made her more swim short bottoms (gosh I’ve made these like 6 times now? 7? I can’t even count) to match with Jalie 3351. Size “S” at waist to “O” at hip; they are a little loose on her but she will grow. I omitted the side pockets and just retraced that part to be even with the bottom of the shorts. They sew much quicker without that pocket
Miss K loves this – YAY for mom! I really need to let her make the decisions from here on out with what I sew for her. She says the fit is great (except the armpit is a tiny bit tight). I will definitely make this again for her.
Fabric for both:The strawberry is an Italian Swimwear Print - ML228125 - from Michael Levine, Inc. I purchased it May 2014, 1 yard for $10. It cut and sewed like a dream and is a nice weight. The pastel aqua I just purchased from Fabricmart, 1 yard for $4.40. It was very slippery to cut and sew – no fun. It is also really lightweight and see-through when wet. Why are solid swim colors always more lightweight than the prints… Total for the outfit = $14.40