Thursday, June 25, 2015

New Look 6470 and Ottobre 02/2007 #1


In my last post I warned you that I was on a tank top sewing spree…

New Look 6470 View D – modified
I made view B of this pattern last summer (purple muslin and blue ITY) and I liked them despite the issues I had with the fit.  The pattern found it’s way into my pile again this summer and I decided to give it a go.
4new look tank 015
This time View D caught my eye with those cute shoulder gathers (hard to see in my busy fabric).  I had only 1 yard of fabric slated for this and needed something fast so I didn’t feel like doing the cross-over body thing.  Instead I omitted that and just traced and cut the front as one piece.  I also rounded out the neck which brought it up by 1".
5new look tank 001
Size: 14 for shoulder and high bust, 16 at waist/hip; I took 3/4” out of the back neck in a slant to 0” at the bottom. I remembered from last time that the back neck was huge on me.  This accounts for 1.5” total out of the back neck. I added 1" to the hem as well.
1new look tank 028
I used clear elastic to gather the shoulders and fusible bias tape on the neck and then turned and cover stitched.  I liked how easy it was to turn the fabric, however, I think it makes the neck too stiff now and it is a little wavy too.  I followed the directions on the arms – not wanting them to be stiff and inflexible. I folded up to 5/8” then folded the seam allowance in half so the raw edge was not exposed, then cover stitched.  This made for a nice and stretchy armhole but was a pain in the butt to get the fabric to cooperate with such small turning.
2new look tank 023
Fabric: Gray Burnout Jersey Knit, 1 yard, $0.83 – WHAT?? Yes, $0.83 for this shirt Open-mouthed smile I’ve been going a bit crazy with the fabric mystery bundles at Fabric Mart lately. This came from a craft bundle in May – 6 pieces - mostly yards or a bit more for $5. It’s really cool because I am getting things I like but would never think of buying.
3new look tank 016
So this fabric is a burnout, see-through in spots, lightweight, and is soft and fuzzy on the white spots - like flocked fabric.  I really kind of love it!  I’m wearing a white tank under it in the pics but I think a black one would look better.
Thoughts: I love it! It is a bit hard to see the shoulder gathers with this busy of a print but you can’t go wrong with how cheap it was!!  This will become a fast favorite, I’m sure.

Ottobre 02/2007 #1 “Tank Top”
Well, this tank wasn’t such a great success.  It has been banished to pjs already.  In all fairness, it isn't the pattern's fault, it is mine. My cover stitch binder gave me some issues and then one of the shoulders got messed up and I had to re-serge but it went crooked due to the binding. Sigh.  All my errors. 
3bug
Size: 40 Shoulders/bust, 42 waist/hip. 1/2” square shoulder adjustment. 1/2” swayback adjustment.
I bound the neck and armholes with my cover stitch.  The front looks great, except the one messed up shoulder.
4bug
The back is in serious need of a swayback adjustment. I didn’t pull it down before the picture either but it looks a mess!
Fabric: 1 yard of Jade cotton lycra from Purpleseamstress.com $6.50
Thoughts: This would be a great basic tank if I hadn’t fudged up the shoulder.  I will remake it in the future sometime; this one will be a pj tank.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE your new tees..Pretty skirt too.Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! What unique fabric! With sewing for ourselves and our kids, I'm sur there would always be someone who will like the fabric in the bundles! I can't wait to start getting them myself! I have this pattern too--yay me. I haven't made it up yet but will soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley ! It was one of those that I never would have thought to buy but I love it. Usually between K and I we find things we like. If not, it makes great muslin fabric!

      Delete
  3. 83 cents?? Crazy! I'm awfully tempted to give the mystery bundle a try now.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Isn't that great! :D They can be addicting though ;)

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.