This was my wearable muslin test for K and it turned out great.
Jalie 3023 Tank;
I flew through the beginning steps and things were looking great. Then I got to the straps and I was so confused. I read the directions a million times and the diagram was no help. So I winged it but in the future, Meigan at Get My Stitch On has an excellent tutorial and shows each strap step in nice pictures. (Thanks to Joy for pointing me in that direction!)
I had the skirt for that pattern all traced and then K told me she didn't want a skirt but shorts. Perfect timing because Jalie just released 3351 - a swimshort with brief pattern.
It came Friday? Saturday? I'm not sure but it came a few days ago. I cut and sewed a size O - the size I use for K's Jalie undies. This shorts pattern has cute criss-cross pockets on the sides. I wasn't going to add them, but then decided I liked the feature.
Make sure you follow the directions. I had to unpick stitches a few times because I went against the directions. The right side of the pocket faces up on top of the right side of the side panel. Also, when attaching the panel to the side of the shorts, there will be a longer piece hanging down on the main shorts - This is ok! It is for turning up and topstitching.
The only thing that disappointed me about the pattern directions is the last step. I thought I was missing a part. It doesn't explain how to attach the briefs inside the shorts, with the waistband. I used common sense and the picture they show - waistband inside with R side to R side of shorts (that are inside out) with briefs next. Whew, so it's a sandwich. Next time I will baste the briefs to the shorts before I attempt to attach the waistband.
They fit great. I love them. I will be making the top a tad bigger in width for K next go around. We received 2 more swim fabric for her "real" suits - although this one is super cute and will get lots of wear too. This fabric was a clearance find at Hancock some time ago. It just lists it as a nylon lycra and was $7.59 for the yard. It is super soft and thick. The white bands are from a remnant at Mill End's closeout sale. It rolled so much I was pulling my hair out. I also purchased some swimwear fabric for a suit for me :D I can't wait to get it sewn.
love these pockets!
Summer is finally here at our house. Yay for no school! We had our town festival this weekend so we were busy. And this week is pretty packed - with camping ending the week out. I look forward to some down time which should come next week. I have 4 or 5 new patterns arriving this week and I can't wait to get some ME sewing done!!
K at the festival
The kids are sumo wrestling as I type this...
(stash is anything purchased before this year)
Stash used: 2.5 yards
Fabric Out: 3.25 yards
Fabric In: 24.25
Totals for the year to date:
Stash sew this year: 30.50 yards
Fabric out in 2014: 118.25 yards
Fabric in 2014: 129.75 yards
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~