He actually picked out this fabric from the $3.95/yd table a few weeks back. It is 60 wide and I still have enough left for either a tee for me or leggings for Miss K.
Anyway, this is Ottobre 03/2013 #39 Beisbol Raglan T-shirt in size 146
Mr. T wears a size 10 in RTW but he is skinny; most RTW is very baggy on him width-wise. So for this shirt I actually had T try on his sister's rainbow shirt (lol, poor kid) and it fit well, but was a bit short. I traced and cut a 146 for him but added an inch to the length.
I added only 1/4" seam allowances because I knew I would use my serger for all the seam construction. I did stitch over the serger seams on the armpits for added strength.
I top-stitched the sleeve cuffs and neck. I used my stretch double needle with wonder tape for the bottom hem.
my new labels! yay!
This tee went together fast and without much issue. The only snag I ran into was when I came to the neckline binding. It looked so small, like a cuff. I went and re-cut the pattern piece on the fold, thinking I forgot to do that, but then it was way too big. So I measured the neck opening (17in) and multiplied it by my usual 0.75 for neck binding to come up with 12.75; add 0.5 seam allowance total (1/4 for each side) and I cut my binding at 13.25. I measured this up against the original pattern piece and it was only about an inch longer. Shrug. I sewed it on thinking it would be too small for T's head to fit through but it turned out just fine.
I tried my very best to line up the stripes.
fits T perfectly
fast to sew
doesn't take much yardage - I'd say 1/2 yard of 60" wide
T is over the moon happy with it
This is a great pattern. It also has a variation of a polo tee. I'm sure we will keep this in the "it works" pile for awhile.
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~