View A - size 86cm - 1/2 yard stash
Nothing new or exciting to report on the Tee - I think I can sew them in my sleep now. The instructions were good, I read through them after I finished sewing it up. I used my cover stitch for the hems and to top stitch the bindings on the neck and sleeves. I also added Fusible stay tape to the shoulders.
View A - size 86 - 1/2 yard total between the blue and contrast fabrics
The pants were fun to sew (insert sarcasm). OMG. Attaching the butt circles was a pain because you are putting one concave curve into one convex curve - like sleeves but more severe. I top stitched the circle seams down. I didn't know what - and didn't care to read slowly - the instructions were asking for the leg cuffs. I simply folded them in half wrong sides together and sewed them R sides together to the legs - like I do for bindings. Then I cover stitched the seams down. I did this before sewing the legs together.
I omitted the drawstring because an active 1 yr old boy may get into trouble with it. I serged the elastic onto the waist, in the round, then flipped it over to the inside and top stitched with the cover stitch.
They turned out really cute, but look big. I hope he enjoys them. (he is a large 1 yr old so that is why I went for the 86cm size).
Blue: Laguna Stretch Cotton Jersey Knit Royal, by Kaufman. I picked it up from Fabric.com in Feb 2014; 1/2 yard was $3.49
White: Fast Food Cotton Knit bought from Fabricfairy.com Feb 2013; 1/2 yard was $4.50
Total for the outfit: $7.99
In other randomness, I have been making a back to school sewing list and one of the priorities is Underwear for K. She now only wears the Jalie 3242 ones I sew. I cut out 12 pairs and managed to get 6 sewn so far. I took to putting the elastic on top of the waist part and cover stitching them down, like I've seen in RTW ones before. This was much faster and wears all the same.
K's maxi dress.
K's T-shirt dress, the birds are from her PJ shirt - now too small, and the wild black and white are scraps from her T-shirt. I estimate about 3/8 yard for each 2 pairs. (1 pair needs 11" high by 24" long) So, 1 1/8 yards were used for these 6. (3/8 from stash, 3/8 from new fabric, and 3/8 from old clothes)
I have another pair of Thurlows altered, cut out, and ready to be sewn up and I'm going to be working on a Plantain too.
I'm in my "finals" week of class here so who knows when I'll get to them. I've been very stressed and it has aggravated my chronic health issues, which in turn zaps all my energy to do anything. I'm sure I just need to get through this class (1.5 more weeks!) and the 12 page paper this week..... and I'll be less stressed and feeling better.
Nala thinks so anyway
(stash is anything purchased before this year)
Stash used: 7/8 yards
Fabric Out: 2 1/8 yards
Fabric In: 0 yards
Totals for the year to date:
Stash sew this year: 35.75 yards
Fabric out in 2014: 129.5 yards
Fabric in 2014: 141.25 yards
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~