K is getting a little fuller so I wanted to try a few plus size patterns.
I started with a Tee.
Ottobre 06/2008 #36 "Tania" T-shirt.
Size: I sewed a 134 for the neck/shoulders and 140 elsewhere.
Alterations: I changed the pattern from long to short sleeves.
Fit: It is a bit big overall but she will grow into it. I could have made this a size smaller like 128/134.
Fabric: I used a beautiful pastel butterfly cotton knit I picked up from FabricStalkers on Facebook. 1 yard $4. Yes, only $4 (it was on sale for 1/2 price). It is a great medium weight cotton jersey. I purchased it Feb. this year. For the neckband I used some "Light Pink" Cotton Lycra from Purpleseamstress.
Sewing/Instructions: T-shirts only have a few quick ways to sew them together. I didn't read the instructions. I sewed one shoulder, then used my binder attachment on my coverstitch to attach the neck binding. Then I sewed the other shoulder, added the sleeves, and sewed up the sides. The last thing to do was hem; which I did with my coverstitch.
Next I moved on to sewing some pants.
Ottobre 06/2008 #35 "Mimmi" Corduroy Pants.
This is the second time I've made these. I had an unpleasant go at it back in August 2013 where they looked cute but the fit was crazy weird. I told myself I'd never sew them again but here I am. LOL.
Alterations: I eliminated the pockets with flaps on the front - it created too much bulk in that area. I drafted normal pants pockets with pocket bags. I added buttonhole elastic into the waistband to make these have an adjustable waist. I didn't add the belt loops because K doesn't wear a belt but she was pulling these up a lot so I might go back and add them.
Fit: Gosh they actually fit pretty darn good! There is a bit of front crotch sagging but K likes to pull her pants waistline waaaaaaay down. She hates things near her belly button. I will try this pattern again perhaps but reduce the crotch curve length.
Fabric: Dusty Pink Corduroy. It is lightweight and has great stretch. I had 2.25 yards in my stash from August 2013. I bought it at Mill End for $2.99/yard. I used 1.25 yards. Total of $3.74. Ha! I used scraps from this failed dress in May 2012 for the front pocket bags, it is called Jungle Gym. The back pocket flaps were made with scraps from this cute dress in April 2013. It is called Dress up days bikes yellow. Not thinking I put it in upside down. Oh well. I love using scraps from previous makes because it get's K all happy.
Sewing/Instructions: Ok, I totally didn't re-read all my issues the first time and here they happened again. The waistband is NOT drafted long enough to fit these darn pants. I added 2" and I barely fit them on with much swearing. The waistband is too skinny, It needs to be at least 1/2" wider. I had forgotten how much time a zipper and pockets add to sewing; I had to split it up into a few days. I also forgot to sew the back darts BEFORE doing the back pockets because those pockets go right up to that dart point (and slightly over).
(pants in action)
Other than that things were smooth. I have sewn a good share of flies now but it has been awhile so I used the instructions for Jalie 2908.
Wisconsin Spring is unpredictable so I made K another Sweatshirt.
Size: Height of M and width of P.
Alterations: Added 1" to the hemband as it was super hard to stretch to meet the bodice fabric last time.
Fit: fabulous! I love this pattern. I need to make myself one next
Fabric: I purchased 1 yard of this PacMan French Terry off a facebook group in July 2014 for $8. I didn't realize until I started cutting that there were streaks from roller marks in the fabric :( I could only squeeze the bodice front and back and hood lining out of that. I was freaking out but then saw that the Lilac Cotton Lycra from Purple Seamstress matched almost dead on. So I used that for the arms, cuffs, and hood. I'd say that was another yard at $6.50. Total: $14.50
Sewing/Instructions: I remembered to put the Kangaroo pocket on first this time. All sewing went smoothly and I followed the instructions. The extra inch on the hemband made all the difference. However, the cuffs were so super small and I wasn't sure they would stretch enough to make it all around the arm. I need to add an inch here as well next time.
And to finish off the whole outfit I made a pair of maching undies! K will not wear store bought ones anymore so I thought this would be perfect.
Ottobre 06/2013 #33 Undies
Fit: the best!
Fabric: Leftovers from the t-shirt. a beautiful pastel butterfly cotton knit. For the band and crotch lining I used some "Light Pink" Cotton Lycra from Purpleseamstress.
Sewing/Instructions: Super fast to put together. I used my coverstitch binder attachment to put on the leg bands.
Here is our new
But she is smart enough to stay on the other side of the fence!
He is a rescue pup. They say he is a cross between a wiener dog and a Jack Russell Terrier. Anywhichway, he is a bundle of naughty cuteness. He likes to give kisses and snuggle a lot too so it's not all bad!
Two weeks ago we had a really bad scare with Nala. She always has reactions to her rabies vaccines and this year was the worst. I thought we were going to lose her. She is only 5 and our princess. Puppy hospital is expensive. I never knew. Anyway she got lots of shots and medicine and had the worst miserable week of her life. She pulled through like a good girl and is back to her old antics.
Exciting things going on around here all the time it seems.
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~