Last January I overlooked that the pattern is drafted for someone 5'5". No wonder I felt it was high waisted on me. Actually I'll list all the issues I had: too high waisted, dislike for cap sleeves, unpleasant fit in the neck, shoulder, bust area.
So here is what I changed this time around:
- I'm 5'7" so I added 1" to the bodice at the lengthen/shorten line and 1" to the skirt at the l/s line.
- took my Renfrew TNT and laid it over the lady skater bodice. Traced off the shoulders to the armscythe (boy the difference).
- 1/2" square shoulder adjustment
- replaced cap sleeve with renfrew short sleeve
- Used fold over elastic in waist instead of clear elastic because I hate that itchy feeling I get from it (allergic to latex)
My measurements had me between a 4 and a 5 so I went with a straight 4. I like negative ease.
The only hard part was remembering that the Renfrew shoulders, arms, and sleeves were 5/8" SA where as the skater is 3/8" SA.
I used my serger for all of the construction except the bottom hem which I coverstiched.
My first go around was my "test" but it turned out so great that I'll be wearing it everywhere for sure.
Fabric: 2 yards black cotton jersey knit from fashion fabrics club. I picked it up in January this year for $3.95 a yard so $7.50 total. I didn't pay attention to the cutting layout and had to cut the back skirt as two pieces (not on fold) just to get it to fit on the 2 yards. So I have a seam down the back of the skirt on this one. My advice: pay attention to the cutting layout! It saves you a bunch of fabric.
It fit wonderfully and I loved it so I went ahead and sewed up my desired fabric.
I love this fabric! It was called "violet blue floral ponte double knit" from fashion fabrics club, also purchased 2 yards in Jan 2015 for $3.95/yard so $7.90 for this one too! Sadly this fabric is now out of stock. It is 97%poly and 3% lycra. I feel like every purchase from them is a gamble as to whether I'll love the fabric or not, but this is one I wish I would have bought more of!
Red cotton lycra used for the bands. I originally had the ponte fabric for the neckband but it wouldn't lay right so I had to unpick not only my serging but also the coverstitching all the way around. Ugh! I do love how it turned out now though so it was worth the extra time.
I'm so glad I didn't give up on this pattern :) I feel like I could make a dozen more of these!
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~