Sunday, February 15, 2015

Jalie Swim Suit for ME!

And coming in at the 11th hour... my swimsuit!!!  This is my last entry into the PR active wear contest. I've been wanting to sew this suit for a year now and couldn't muster up the courage.  Sewing suits for a 9 yr old is one thing (she is such a rectangle) but sewing for me.... with all my weird measurements...That is a different story!


Turns out that I was afraid for nothing.  My suit goes together the same way as the ones I sew for Miss K.  And I'm super pleased with the results!!  It looks just how I wanted it too.  It has renewed my dwindling faith that I should sew.


Top: Jalie 3023
This is my second time making this top. I've made it for K one other time.
I sewed a T for the shoulders, U for the bust/waist, and W for the hips.  These are one step up from my measurements and the fit is darn near perfect!


Construction was a breeze.  I followed each step.  The straps are the worst part of this top.  The instructions are there but you need pictures to understand what is going on.  Last time I made this I printed off the picture tutorial by Meigan at "Get My Stitch On" and used it this time.  Much easier to sew.


I added the shelf bra without issue and used a thicker bit of elastic. The pattern calls for 3/4" but all I had was normal elastic and it was scratchy. So I grabbed the 1.25" sport elastic that is used for the tops of boxers.  It is soft on the skin side and worked great. I actually prefer the thicker elastic for support there, it is more comfortable.


Shorts: Jalie 3351
I have made these three times for K now but the first time for me.  Construction was easy since I've sewn them up a few times now.  I sewed a V at the waist to a Z at the hip (one size up from my measurements).  They are just a tad too big but I don't even care. I love them!  They are super comfortable.  The built in brief is nice too.


So don't be afraid to sew up something.  Take the chance, you may have great results!!






** It feels so weird to sew and wear a swim suit when it's -35°F outside!!**

Fabric: Italian Swimwear Print - Grey / Floral / Multi from Michael Levine, Inc. Purchased May of last year, 1.5 yards, $15.  I fell in love right away even though it's not my color.  It just has a vintage vibe to me and I love that. The white is White Activewear from fashionfabricsclub.  I purchased it at the same time. It has a soft brushed surface on the backside and wow. I wish I had more of this.  It is sooo soft. The negative is that it had roller marks and stains throughout the fabric, so I had to pick and choose my spots, plus it was the end of the roll.  But I love it!! 3/4 yard $5.21. 

Swimsuit total: $20.21. Can't beat that :)

~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

16 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! My fabric should be here this coming week; I can't wait to sew mine now! Crazy I know....it is in the 30s/40s here and I'm making sundresses and swimsuits. But they way I figure, we need to start sewing for spring and summer now so we have it when we need it because we'll be outside more and not sewing as much. One question, why did you size up on this? Do I need to do this for sewing a swimsuit or was this a personal preference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! I was super excited when it started to come together. I couldn't wait to finish it. I sized up because Jalie usually is snug on me when I use my regular size. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love the style of this swimsuit. I can see wearing this a lot on the beach with my son playing in the sand and not worry my business is popping out everywhere... but at the same time it's just super cute. Your suit is really cool, the print is great! I too am dreaming of days that aren't sub-zero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! It would be great for that - no popping out even when I bend forward. I'm dreaming of warm weather too ;-)

      Delete
  3. Your swimsuit looks great, Kristin!
    It looks so comfy, I bet one could totally live in this during summer :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Siri! I hope I have the chance to live in it this summer :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out! Your suit looks great. I'm glad I'm not the only one sewing swimsuits in the middle of winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Meigan! Those pictures really helped me out!

      Delete
  5. You look fabulous, Kristin! I love the swimsuit...the fit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are perfect! The fit looks really good. Yay for making a suit for yourself! I have the same problem - sew a ton of swimsuits for the kids and...can never get up the gumption to make one for myself. Last year I made just the shorts - maybe this summer I'll do the top, too, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you like the fit of the top? I don't suppose you've had a chance to wear the suit in real life yet (if only!), but how gapey does the front band seem? It tends to gape for the littles, and that's without a bust to factor into the equation.

      Delete
    2. LOL that's how I am too. It is so much harder to sew for ourselves! Plus... it's a swim suit! yikes! ;-)

      Delete
    3. I love the fit of the top, I think the bust is what is needed to hold up that top band because I really don't have any gaping unless I scrunch my shoulders forward. I worried about that too. :)

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.