Originally I had tried to re-make my loved Jalie 3022 pants in cotton velour, but..... they were so tight I couldn't barely get them on. It really bothers me to have to throw out a make, too. I even sized up one size but I guess I should have gone up more because the velour didn't have as much stretch as my first pair.
So I moved forward with a cotton lycra pair of pants and tank for my outfit. (sorry, indoor pics because WI weather is cold!)
Jalie 3024 is a cute pattern for dresses. You can sew a tank dress plain, or with a crossover, as well as a kimono sleeved boat neck dress. I thought this pattern would be great for summer dresses for both K and myself.
I used Jade cotton lycra for the top with a Forest Green band. I purchased it from purpleseamstress. 1 yard, $6.50.
I read the instructions and new I would sew up the tank differently. There is nothing wrong with the Jalie instructions but I have to bind in the flat with my attachment and I like sewing things in the flat whenever I can. :)
- First I sewed one shoulder and then attached my neck and one armpit binding with my binder attachment.
- Second I sewed the other shoulder and then attached the second armpit binding.
- Third I attached each band to the top, in the flat.
- Fourth I attached each "skirt" (bottom) panel to the bands, in the flat.
- Fifth I sewed up each side.
- And finally, I hemmed.
The tank was a very fast sew.
Adjustments: 1/4" square shoulder. That's it! Size: neck/shoulders a T, bust/waist a U, and sloping out to an X for the hip. I made the skirt panel 11" and it was perfect length.
Fit: It fits well! I like it a lot. The neck/shoulders are just a smidge big but not bad at all. I can't wait to make some dresses from this pattern!
This is the third time I have made Jalie 3022. I love the first pair but the fabric is piling. The second pair I talked about above with the failed cotton velour.
I used Forest Green cotton lycra with Jade for the band. I also purchased this from purpleseamstress. 2 yards, $13.
I followed the directions for the most part. I like to do my topstitching right after I sew the seam instead of all of it at step 7. Topstitching is boring so I would not enjoy it if I had to do it all at once! And there is a lot of topstitching on these pants.
My measurements put me in a Size X (11) hip and T (7) waist but Jalie is always snug so I bumped up to a Size Z (13) waist V (9). The back pants panel is split into two and creates a super nice curve that hugs the rear end. Despite the topstitching these go together relatively fast. There is also elastic in the waistband which I prefer more than just a cotton/lycra band.
My tank ended up a smidge too big, and these pants ended up a smidge too tight! lol. It's ok though. My weight goes up and down like a yo-yo with my health so I'm sure they will be less tight in a week as I'm on the upper end of that yo-yo right now. I'm very happy with them and they are so comfortable. Total for the outfit: $19.50
I also have some swim suits sewn up for K and a few other things, but I'll share those a different day :)
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~