I made K view B - the Hoodie.
Size: Width of P and Height of M. This coordinates with most of her measurements. Her chest is 2" smaller than the pattern states but sweatshirts are supposed to be roomy.
Fabric: 1.5 yards white dots on black sweatshirt knit fabric from purple seamstress, purchased for $15 total in November 2014. Purple in lining is a tiny piece of lovely Cotton Lycra also from purple seamstress, purchased at the same time.
Instructions: I love Jalie instructions. They are printed on the pattern paper, but you can also print them off from the website. I always do this to have them handy. I love that they have pictures for pretty much each step along with the written directions - I'm a visual person.
Sadly I somehow missed the Kangaroo pocket steps because they are at the bottom of the page that talks about sewing techniques to use. I usually skip that page. Whoops! I attached it after I had sewn the sleeves on and sides together. It was a bit cramped but I got it. Also, The instructions state to fold top and sides to the wrong side but do not say by how much. I winged it and just did 1/2". It worked fine.
The rest of the instructions were spot on. I had no issues, until I sewed the hood. The pattern asks for sweatshirt fabric with 10% stretch, mine had none. I'm not sure if this was the issue or not but there was no way that hood was getting over K's head. I didn't have any more of the dot fabric left to cut a new, larger hood. So K and I agreed that we would use the ribbing fabric for the hood. Now it fits perfect. She also wanted it lined in purple. No problem. I will have the hood lining pictures near the bottom of this post if anyone is interested. It is pretty simple to line a hood :) Plus I do not enjoy seeing the seam if left unlined.
In addition to changing the hood to a stretchy fabric, I had to shave 1/2" off the neckline of the bodice for K's head to fit through. She likes it. It fits her very nicely.
I made purple Ottobre 01/2009 #29 "Saija" Sweatpants to go with the sweatshirt since the hood lining was purple. While I was at it I sewed up a gray pair too. Both are of Cotton Velour. Fuzzy pants are always welcome in the winter. Size 146. Since I've sewn this Ottobre pattern seven times now, I'll spare you the review :P But here they are and they will be much loved.
Fabric: Purple: Juicy Amethyst Cotton Velour, 1 yard, $9 from Nature's Fabrics Dec 2014.
Gray: Juicy Charcoal Heather Cotton Velour, 1 yard, $9 from Nature's Fabrics Dec 2014.
K took off to read a new book in her sweat set. So they must be a hit!
Hood lining steps:
cut 1 of hood, cut 1 of lining. I took 1" off lining on straight edge at front so it would turn nicely to the inside when topstitching.
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~