The other day WI hit 50-something degrees so I thought “Oh, it’s a great day for photos!” and ran outside to take some. I was a bit too eager because the sunshine, while nice, was not in my favor for good photos plus the ground was soppy, muddy, squishy, and gross. I’m posting them anyway.
The dress. Boundless by Patterns for Pirates
I made a sleeved version this time, maxi, and the bodice is lined. There are also pockets. I started this dress sometime last fall and just couldn’t get the motivation to finish it. I love pockets in dresses but sometimes all that extra work has me procrastinating.
This is a modified Boundless. I do not like the back being so low so I raised the back neck 3”. I made a 1/2” forward shoulder adjustment. I also felt restricted in my other tank boundless when I walked, so this time I used the skirt from the Made for Mermaids Chloe. It has much more room at the ankle.
Size used: Large.
Fabric: Originally I ordered 2 yards of this beautiful Knitpop fabric. Then I cut the front skirt and realized I needed more fabric, it would not fit with just 2 yards. I went and ordered another 2 yards just to be sure. It is the Double Brushed Denim Teal Amber Floral on Poly Spandex; $8.50/yd from Knitpop. I then had leftover fabric after I cut this dress out so I quick made up a Sweet Tee with the leftovers. So, I would say this dress used 3 yards.
Thoughts: It fits well. I’m glad I added width to the bottom of the skirt, it flows better when I walk. I love the fabric. I like the dress a lot, but I’m not in love with it. Sometime between fall and finishing it I just sort of fell out of love and wanted to just get it done. Maybe as time goes on I will enjoy it more.
I like to serge fold over elastic at the waist. it helps the gathers retain their shape and the FOE is soft so it doesn't irritate my skin the way elastic does.
McCalls 6996 - Failed Cardi
I can’t even tell you when I made this it has been so long ago now. It was one of those projects I was super excited for, sewed it up right away, and then hated it. So it sat and sat and I never photographed it or blogged about it. It lived on my dress form, Betty for many months now.
I’m not sure if it is because of a bad fabric choice, or the pattern itself. So many people like this pattern and it looks great on others – so I have to assume it is the fabric.
Size: Large. I made a size L because at that time my bust was 39” (it is 37.5 now); The cardi was too big then and now. I made view C/D. I also did a 1/2” forward shoulder adjustment.
The fit unpleasant; too long in the arms, big overall. The fabric is thicker yoga knit (on it’s own it is so soft and amazing but apparently totally wrong for this cardi). I’m also unsure of when I got this fabric but I put it in my database Dec 2016. I used 2 yards “cranberry DBP Yoga blend” from knitpop.
I’ll salvage the yoga knit if I can – hack it up into something else. I may try this cardi pattern again sometime in a much drapier fabric and in a size M.