Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Sewing for others ~ Jalie and Swoon


This year I wanted to make something special for my Mom for her Birthday.
She liked my Jalie scarf neck top so I made her one for  herself.  I also made her a Swoon Cardigan.

Jalie 2921

20170219_145925

I won’t divulge my mom’s measurements on her but I will say that she is short-waisted.  This alteration was different for me because I’m rather long waisted. 

20170208_131941

You probably recognize the fabric from my Burda shirt the other day.  When I pulled it out my daughter said “That looks like something grandma would like.”  Luckily I had enough to make both her shirt and mine.  I did sew hers first just to be safe. 

20170219_145933

I’ve made this pattern for myself 3 times now.  I love it.  Sewing it up is a breeze. 

Swoon Cardigan

20170217_131716

I picked this cardigan because I loved the princess seaming.  I’ve never sewn it before. I didn’t like the front with the asymmetrical peaks – so I made it straight across in front.

20170219_144918

I didn’t like this pattern, the instructions, any of it  Piecing the pattern together was weird how there one long part of the main body that is cut off and on a different part – I don’t know. I didn’t like it and thought it was weird.  The sewing part was ok but I didn’t enjoy it.  The collar part is single fabric, I wish it was double to hide the seam.  The two seams joining at the bottom are not a good feature.  The corners at the front have to be mitered to look right.  Ugh. not my favorite.  It looks nice, and I like how it turned out. But I’ll not be sewing this again.

20170219_144927

Fabric: initially I had this pegged to be my Jalie drop pocket cardigan for my swap. However, it looked so nice with this fabric and it is colors my mom would like.  2 yards Teal Blue Jersey Knit, 95% Rayon 5% Lycra.  It is soft and drapes well.  I purchased it in August 2016 from fashion fabrics club.

I sure hope my Mom enjoyed receiving these as her present. 

Happy Sewing!
Kristin

2 comments:

  1. How frustrating to use your precious fabric on an unenjoyable sew but it looks lovely and you are a good daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! It was sad that the fabric was used for that less than stellar pattern, but at least now I know! :D

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.