Sunday, August 7, 2016

Hits and Misses for Miss K

 Sewing for tweens is hard.  Here is a little catch up on what has been sewn for Miss K lately.

Vintage Kwik Sew 1077 vs. Purl Soho City Gym Shorts

20160421_112351

Kwik Sew size 14 - in stretch denim with self made cotton bias tape (both fabrics from the scrap bin).
Kwik Sew was way to small to even be comfortable on K; she could barely get them up over her hips/butt.  I did scoop out the rear but it did not help.  This is sad because they turned out so stinking cute!

20160424_101421

City Gym Shorts (CGS) in women’s size 35-37 in cotton woven with self made cotton voile bias tape (both fabrics from scrap bin).

CGS were too small too, but only a smidge in the rear.  I did not scoop out the rear on these but may try again in the future. I going to be honest here - I didn’t follow the directions for these because they are just weird.  You can tell the author is a quilter and not a clothing sewist. Luckily, they are simple to make and no directions are needed.

Fabric is from this dress K never wore. 100% cotton woven, it was simply called Vines Multi when I purchased it for $2.79 for the 1/2 yard. 

Jalie 3024 mash up with SUAT Aurora
I used the top from Jalie and the skirt from Aurora.  Size Q for Jalie and 14 for Aurora.

20160525_141532

I really like this dress.  It's cute.  Miss K picked these fabrics but still hasn’t tried it on.  I hope she will like it once she finally does put it on.  
 Miss K refused to wear it so I chopped the top off and used the skirt to make her an Aurora.

Fabric: 1/2 yard of Coral Cotton Lycra – this stuff is nice and heavy at 11 oz a yard.  Purchased in March 2016 $1.98 from fashionfabricsclub and 2 yards of Mint Green/Gray Stripe Jersey Knit (poly, rayon, lycra) also purchased in March 2016 for $5.93.  Dress total: $7.91  

Jalie 2444 Sport Tank in size Q for shoulders/bust and S for waist/hip. I added 1/4” to each side at the bust and lowered the neck by 1” because the reviews on Patternreview said the neck was too high.


20160517_133606

Miss K wears this tank but it is way too tight on her.  Lowering the neckline was also a bad idea – don’t listen to the reviews.  It looks so much better with the higher neckline. I will remake this for her in a larger size because it is such a cute tank. 

Fabric: Turquoise cotton lycra 1/2 yard purchased in April 2016 for $4.80.  Small bit of Shattered Showers poly/lycra that I’m hoarding from March 2015, it is from a custom fabric group "Cuddle Muffins".

Vintage Kwik Sew 1077 – tank
Size 14; this turned out super, super huge on Miss K.  Which is ironic because the shorts at the very top of this post are with the same pattern and way too small.  I ended up cutting this up to make her underwear. I totally forgot to snap a picture of it until I was cutting it up. Oops.

20160630_112819

Ottobre 01/2011 #29 Yoga pants
Size 152 with 1/2” shortened.  You’ve seen me make her this pattern a million times. 

20160517_151404

These are sewn with super soft French Terry.  They are nice and lightweight.  She loves them. Fabric: 1 yard of Black Two Tone French Terry Fabric (poly, rayon, spandex mix) purchased in Nov 2015 for $7.40 from Stylish Fabrics.


And here are a bunch of SUAT Scrundies that I made for Miss K from scraps and clothes she won’t wear.  I went with the “Adventure Time” theme.  Now she has 7 days of Adventure time to wear.  All characters were done with my Silhouette and Heat transfer Vinyl.  Miss K will only wear these underwear now, claiming them to be the most comfortable ever. I used size XS for her.  
20160630_183331

As you can see, the only thing that survived from this tween sewing stint was the undies and the yoga pants.  The rest were either too tight, too big, or not wanted.

Happy Sewing!
Kristin

8 comments:

  1. That has to be so frustrating for you, spending your time sewing things she won't wear. I guess getting her involved isn't the answer since she won't wear the maxi despite choosing the fabrics. I sew for an 8 year old granddaughter and sometimes projects we imagined together don't turn out as we had thought / hoped. I guess it's just live and learn! I need to try to make her some undies but my time is limited and those just seem so easy to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! It is exhausting sewing for a tween. We are working through it though. I need to ask her opinion more and not just sew what I "think" she will like :)

      Undies are easier to purchase, but so much more comfortable if you make them yourself, plus it uses up scraps :D You should try it sometime!

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain! My teen is a terror to have to sew for. Nothing is right but shopping is even worse. I love your dress and the underwear are soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie! Shopping is much, much more painful to do with Miss K. I agree! She will end up telling me she would rather I make her stuff. And then.... you can see what happens there! I keep telling her she is going to end up naked.

      Delete
  3. Take time to enjoy your tween sucesses! That she will wear home-made scrundies is a super win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do appreciate your honesty with your hits and misses in kids sewing! My boy is still young enough to not complain about me made clothes, but I'm sure it will come once he's old enough to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! Enjoy sewing for your little one as much as you can! I miss the days when K was excited about everything :D tweens and teens are so cynical.

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.