I made this color blocked top before with blue and gray. The problem is that the blue knit is light and rayon. It pills like crazy. I wanted to make another one because I love to wear that one and I'm sure it's going to bite the dust soon.
This is technically the 4th time I've used this pattern - I think it's safe to say I love it. Sizing is 40 bust/waist and 44 hip.
and now this one
I did make some changes to the pattern to get a better fit.
- too tight sleeves: Using the palmer/pletsch method I sliced and split the sleeves to add 1/2" more width. They are comfortable now but I honestly would love another 1/4" to 1/2" more
- Hip: Added 1/2" to each side in back only to accommodate my larger rear
- Shoulder: added 1/2" to shoulder width on both sides. I noticed in my blue one that the shoulders did not reach the end of my shoulder pivot bone. The adjustment helped and the shoulders now sit correctly
- Swayback: 1/2" this time in addition to the 1/2" previously but looking at the side picture I think I may need to go even more. Sigh. I feel like I have the biggest sway ever.
I kept these changes:
- 1/2" square shoulder adjustment
- 1/2" sloped out of front and back from neck tapering to 0 at hip. This helps with the neck gaping I keep getting. (I'm thinking I may have to start cutting a smaller size at shoulders and neck)
I really, really love this pattern. I have a red one planned too: solid, not color blocked, and short sleeves.
This was just the top I needed to get me back in the sewing groove. The fabric is lovely - thick but not too thick - thin enough but not too thin. Just right. It is the Laguna knits from Kaufmann. I just hope they wash well. (Sorry, this is not stash fabric. I bought this in Jan. specifically for this top).
In the future:
- re address that darn swayback
- add a bit more to the sleeve width
- take a bit in on the front piece only - it is a bit loose
- possibly work on a forward shoulder adjustment
Yards out in 2014 to date: 31
Yards in: 32.5
Stash used: 10.5 yards
I sewed K's American Girl Doll a cute dress with some of the scraps too. The black is the bottom of an old T-shirt so I cheated and used that hem! lol. This is one full skirt! Pattern Simplicity 4654
Wawak.com for cheap compared to the other places selling them. $33 for the set and it comes with all the adapters and snaps. you can use it for anorak/coat button snaps, camping snaps, and eyelets too. That is not an affiliate link, I just love these pliers.
~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~