Last year (Jan 2018) I was fortunate enough to be pattern testing for Jalie.com
I made this Kimono robe in testing and forgot to post about it.
Melaine 3889 Kimono Robe
Size Used: V for Shoulder/Bust/Waist, and grading to Y at the hip.
My Measurements at that time: Bust 37, Waist 30, Hip 43
Alterations: I only blended from size V on top to Y at the hips to fit my pear shape. I do this to all my patterns.
Instructions: Well written, easy to follow. I thought this would be harder to sew, but the instructions made it easy.
Overall fit: I think the fit is spot on. I was happy to find it fit over my hips when closed, an issue I have frequently.
Issues: I didn’t have any issues in making this. I starched my slippery fabric and used glue stick to help hold hems and seams. I also used a bit of stabilizer when starting to sew my seams from an edge. This ripped off easily when I was done. It sewed together nicely.
In testing I found these issues, however, they may have been addressed and changed before the pattern released:
- Belt loops too long and wide. I would be more comfortabble with 3/4 the length of them and 1/2 the width.
- The belt was too long – like 6 inches too long.
- The neckband would be easier to sew on if it had marks to help align it better.
This is one of those patterns I would put on my list of things I want to make and then never get to it for fear it would be too hard or take too long. I love the robe and found it wasn’t very hard at all. It took me about 4-5 hours of straight sewing so it wasn’t too long either.