Friday, May 31, 2019

Sew A Little Seam ~ Movie Night Pjs (plus Pup Tees)

Pattern info and sizing: The Women’s Movie Night Pajama is a PDF sewing pattern for sizes 0/2
(32″ bust, 36″ hip) to 28 (50″ bust, 54″ hip).
The pattern is FREE if you find the code in the Sew a Little Seam Facebook group!

I made the top 12/14 Bust, 16/18 Waist and Hip
I made the bottoms 16/18 Waist and 20 Hip
My measurements at this time: 39 Bust, 32 Waist, 45 Hip

sas3

Instructions: I didn’t look at them since this is an easy straight forward tee and legging type pant pattern.

For the Top:
I choose the scoop neck and did a 1/2” forward shoulder adjustment that is standard for me in every pattern.

For the Bottoms:
I choose the yoga waist and pant cuffs. I ended up having to scoop the front crotch by 1/2” to get rid of a camel toe problem.

After sewing the bottoms together the yoga waistband was too big so I added 1.5” elastic to it at 33” long.  Also, the “yoga band” is really short in height? I’m not sure why but when you fold it over it’s only 1.5” in height.  I’m used to a 3” or more yoga band AFTER being folded over. 

sas1

This pattern does NOT come in A0 copy shop format.  I have become lazy and do not want to tape my pdf’s so I found a pretty cool way to make it A0 myself.  I followed the steps on this blog “Sewing and Things;” life-changing I tell you!  Basically you convert the PDF to JPEG and then put them into PowerPoint and arrange them and save as the A0 size.  Sounds complicated, but wasn’t.

sas2

Issues with the Tee:  The tee does not fit me well.  I used some super gray knit fabric that I love and honestly I’m now quite sad the tee doesn’t fit right.  The arms are way too tight on the bicep.  There is something funky going on by the waist.  The back is really wide which might be contributing to the waist issue.  The shoulders keep trying to pull to the back so the shoulders are not lining up and I keep having to pull the shirt forward.  It fits like a RTW shirt – which is annoying.  But, I wanted to try the pattern.  I won’t be making adjustments because I have other tees that fit better off the bat. 

sas4

However, the Bottoms:  They fit amazingly.  I love them!  I didn’t even do any altering or scooping of the butt – I just made the pattern as is.  I did put elastic in the yoga waist but that’s it!   The leg cuffs fit nice – snug but not tight.  The pants just feel amazing.  I used double brushed poly to make them and it feels like I’m wearing nothing. 

sas5

Future changes: make a different tee pattern. Seriously, this one has enough issues and I have plenty more tee patterns to use that fit better.
Bottoms: add 1” to the back rise at center back and taper to 0” at side seams.  I need a little more butt room when sitting.  Add double to the yoga band height if using the yoga band and take about 2-3” off in width so it’s more snug. 

Fabric: Top: 1 yard Cotton Lycra from Spandex world (this stuff is amazing and soft) Light heather Gray, 92% Cotton 8% Spandex; $8/yard
Pants 1.25 yards of double brushed poly. I think I got this in a knitpop scrap box but I’m not 100%

sas0

So after I made the blue pants I didn’t want to take them off.  They are super comfy for lounging and so soft.  My family got tired of seeing the blue floral so I made another pair in green floral. I only had about 3/4 a yard of this double brushed poly.  I got this in a scrap pack at one time and hoarded it because I love the fabric, but can’t wear olive by my face.  It just doesn’t look right.  WELL, I put the olive on my lower half and I’ll make a black tank to go with it.  Problem solved. 

sas10

So I only had 3/4 yard and I’m not a capri person.  I decided to try them anyway.  I’m still not a capri person. I hate how cuffs feel on my mid calf.  I might chop these off to just above the knee and hem – not cuff.  I don’t know yet, I’ll need to wear them a bit first.

sas6

I love how these look and fit so I”m sure more pairs are on the horizon. 

sas7

Changes made to the capris: added 1” to back rise tapering to 0” at center front.  scooped 1/2” out on pattern at front crotch curve to fix camel toe issue.  Kept “yoga band” the same small height and added 1.5” elastic to the waist at 32” long. 

sas8

Movie Night Pj’s for Pets
pups1

I always love sewing for my pups and so I had to try this free pattern for my 2 boys. 
I made them both with bands on the legs, no sleeves. 

pups5

Bennie measured almost a straight 5 so that’s what I made him.
Cheeto measured all over the place so I settled on 8 Neck, 10 Chest and Length and 9 Waist

pups3

I used 1 yard of my same gray cotton lycra as the tee above. It is from Spandex world; $8/yard

pups4

Instructions were good.  I mostly followed them as written.  The hem is my biggest issue with this pattern.  The hem is quite curved on these tees; the pattern tells you to turn up ONE INCH on a curved hem…. sharply curved at the meeting of the front and back.  I’m sorry that is just not happening.  Fabric doesn’t distort that way.  So I turned up 1/2” and struggled it into shape on those curves.  Also, the leg bands were really tight on the leg/shoulder openings.  I would add 1/2” to them next time. 

pups2

Overall it’s a cute, fast pattern to sew up for your pup to match you.  I think they fit pretty great (also, it is really hard to get good pictures of puppies)!

2 comments:

  1. I love those blue pj pants!! They fit amazing and I love the print. Even though you aren't a capri person, now you have pants to wear when you are washing the blue ones. :) Oh my gosh I never imagined that a dog would have varying measurements in a pattern. It never ends huh? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Poor cheeto has a real tough time with his odd proportions. but that's why I sew, right? :D I think you would love this movie night pants pattern (it's freeeeeeeeee)

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.