Woohoo!!! I have things to share! I have been doing a bit of sewing here and there and have a bunch of makes to share with you. OK, so we are going to start with these two vintage nightgowns that I made.
I’m going to start with the second one I made, first, because it’s my favorite.
Vintage Kwik Sew 630 Nightgown sewn July 2022 (second one)high bust 39 inches
bust 42 inches
waist 37 inches
hip 48.5 inches
Date Sewn: I started sewing this on July 31st and finished it on the same day. It's a nice quick sew
Size: large for my bust/waist, and extra-large for the hip
Here is a closeup of the fabric so you can see how cute it is.
Size sewn: also the same
Adjustments: also the same, lol
I used a ton of wonder tape on this one. the bottom hems are only 1/4" and curved, that makes for some interesting sewing. I used wonder tape and then coverstitched the bottom hem but after wearing I found that the coverstitch, even on narrow is too wide for the 1/4” hem. So the second nightgown (bees and picnic baskets), I used a 3-step zig zag on the hem and I much prefer it. You can see the difference in the hems below. And you can see the pilling on the tie-dyed fabric.
I just love this curved hem!
Here is the vintage undie pattern on the bottom, and my favorite Draft #2 on top of it. See how much wider it is!
original wide undies.
Here are the fixed, modified narrow undies. They will be going into the trash. **Update 04/30/24** they did not go in the trash and I actually enjoy wearing them. They are comfortable and the rayon is so soft and breathable.
Final thoughts: So I love this pattern for the nightgown. I love the length, the curved hem, the ease at which it wears. It is easy to throw on and be comfortable lounging or in bed sleeping. I will probably make a few more in the future.
Lets throw in a quick picture of Miss K’s pants I also made with this tie-dye fabric.
I sewed these up Jan 19, 2022. It was the first real make I sewed since brain surgery and I struggled. I only attempted to sew one other time in Sept 2021, my black leggings, but now I am doing better and able to sew more. Not as much as before brain surgery, but at least I can get in my sewing room and make some things. I shared these pants on a different post back in March of 2022.I’ve made this pattern for both of us so many times now:
Jan 2022 these blue tie-dyed, April 2020 green fruit, both for Miss K Sept 2017 black stripe for Miss K, Dec 2017 Red yoga for me, Dec 2017 purple stripe for me, Dec 2019 red xmas pjs for Miss K, and Aug 2020 my favorite pair of gray french terry pants for me.Miss K wears these ALL THE TIME so I must have made a winner. She loves the pattern of course but she also loves the softness of the rayon spandex. I love that I used up every bit of the 3 yards of fabric and we had no scraps.
And now a quick health update: A lot has happened since my last health update in March 2022. I started a different seizure medicine. It seems to be helping quite a bit and my stomach is tolerating it so far. This has allowed me to be able to get out of bed more and do more “normal” things for me. I still spend a lot of time in bed, a lot of time in pain, and a lot of bad days, but they are getting less and less as time goes on.I had my radiation follow-up MRI in August. I was so freaking scared. BUT the best news happened. My remaining tumor has showed NO GROWTH. This is huge news, very good news. Now I wait another 6 months and have another MRI. We just continue to watch the leftover tumor (half was left from surgery) the rest of my life.
On the flip side, the radiation has destroyed much of my pituitary gland so I am dealing with many symptoms from that So now I deal with pituitary hypothyroidism and all that goes with it= hot sweats, dizziness, hair falling out in chunks, weight gain, fatigue, not sleeping, cold as ice, etc. A lot of the brain surgery symptoms such as fatigue and insomnia are made worse with the thyroid issues. My emotions are a mess as well. I miss my pituitary regularity. I never knew all the things it did for me. So anyway, we just watch and wait and see what damage comes further.
I’m trying to stabilize my emotions, but I’m still so very angry about having the tumor. I don’t want it. I don’t want to be this person. It frustrates me daily still. My hair still falls out in handfuls daily, but it is slowly growing longer again. I’ve gained 60 lbs since last fall/winter when my pituitary gland crapped out - that pisses me off because most of my older makes do not fit me. I look in the mirror and I don’t see me. This is not me. I look so old and tired. I try to do more normal things, for me, and then they hurt and I”m mad. But when I succeed at doing something I used to do, I’m elated, but exhausted. It is very much a rollercoaster. I’ve been trying to repeat this quote in my head when I get really depressed. “Surrender to what is. Let go of what was. Have faith in what will be.” by Sonia Ricotti.
That’s all for now, I have many more makes to share so be on the lookout for more!
Happy Sewing!!! Kristin
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!
Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.