Friday, March 15, 2019

Burda 03/2012 #114 Elastic Waist Shorts Muslin

As you may have noticed, I'm playing catch up with blog posting.

Last May (2018) I was determined to make some nice fitting shorts.  I watched a ton of Craftsy Bluprint classes on fitting, read more books, etc.  I picked a simple pattern to start with, Burda 03/2012 #114 Elastic Waist Shorts.  I even put this pattern in my Spring SWAP for 2018.



I did a tissue fitting before cutting out the muslin fabric.  It helped me make a few changes (listed below).  Nothing is hemmed on these, no waistband in; just a quick sew up in the needed places.


This pattern only goes to a 42 so I graded it out to a size 46.  My pattern notes show I lowered the front rise by 1/4" added 1/2" to the width at Center Front and 1/2" to the front thigh.
In the back I added 1/2" wedge to the center butt, rotating this to take out 1" of the bottom leg width.  This created 3/4" addition to the top waist width so I took it out at the side seams of both the outer and inner.  Whew, that sounds confusing but what it amounts to is a sort of full bust adjustment for my butt.  A full butt adjustment!


I think the fit turned out really great.  There are a few tweaks they need here and there. Also, these shorts are super short for what I'm comfortable with but lengthening the legs would take away from the cute design of them.


So after all that work I put them on hold and moved forward with something else.


I really wanted to make these out of some amazing linen blend fabric I have.  I will make them soon I think. Finding these pictures made me want a pair. I will sew up a pair of these just to wear around the house and yard in summer, because I like the style, and darn it - shorts that fit me are hard to find!




~ Happy Sewing! ~ Kristin ~

4 comments:

  1. You have nailed that butt fit!
    I look forward to seeing these finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so cute! I can't believe you got that far and didn't finish! I can't wait to see the finished product. They are going to be perfect. I'm always in awe of your fit skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! I know I know. sometimes I'm my own worst enemy :)

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.