Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Cardi and Tanks ~ Jalie, P4P, Ottobre

This summer has been hot, hot, hot. Unfortunately my body is either hot, or cold with no in between.  So I made up some tanks for the heat, and an awesome cardigan to cover up with when I get cold.

Let’s start with the tanks.

Patterns for Pirates - Layer Me Up Tank

up 2

Size: Large, graded to an XL at the hip; 1/2” square shoulder adjustment.  I need to do a forward shoulder adjustment next time.

up best

This is the second one I’ve made (the first below) and I added 1/4” to the hip in front and 1/2” to the hip in the back.  I loved the fit of the first one so much I felt confident in cutting my expensive custom fabric. 

up 1

The front is “Up” Carl & Ellie (disney movie) fabric from Wanderlust Custom Fabric on Facebook.  It’s super soft Cotton/Lycra. Normally $25/yard I picked it up in one of her sales.  I only used a small bit for the front of this.  The back is charcoal gray cotton lycra from Purple Seamstress for $6.50/yard

IMG_6765

A swayback might be needed.  Really, the fabric is snug on my rear and being hung up there so it’s pooling in my mid back.  I’m ok with it. 


Here is the first P4P Layer Me Up Tank I made.  It turned out to be a wearable muslin.  Size L, graded to an XL at the hip.  This is exactly within my measurements. 

p4p 1

Fabric is “Love Graffiti Jersey Knit”  Cotton/Lycra from Fashionfabricsclub.  I picked it up in Nov 2015 for $5.25 per yard.  It’s a fun fabric but washes terribly.  It fades a ton.

p4p 2


I tried this Ottobre tank first before I made the P4P tank but wasn’t too happy with the fit.  So then I moved on to the P4P's you see above.  This Ottobre tank is really loose on me, I wanted it to be tighter.  This is a size 42 graded to a 46 at the hip. 

otto 1otto 2

The side seam falls really nicely in this picture.  I may have to rethink my dislike of it. It has been in my PJ pile for a good month now.
otto 3

It feels looser than I like in a tank but looking at these pictures it doesn’t look bad at all.  Maybe I should make one with some rayon spandex.  This is Ottobre 02/2007 #1 “Tank Top” and I made it once before but wasn’t happy with it.  (I never learn).  This time I slimmed up the sides a bit but it was still too loose. The fabric was the same “Love” graffiti as above.


Now on to the cardigan.  I have to tell you right away that I LOVE this cardigan!!!  I’ve been wearing it nonstop and trying to find other fabric in my stash to make more. It takes a bit of fabric at 2.5 yards.

Jalie 3248 Drop Pocket Cardigan

cardi 1

This cardigan is pure awesomeness.  I want to live in it.
Size: W graded to an AA at the hip. 

cardi 2

Fabric: 2.5 yards Heathered Pebble Gray Poly/Rayon/Lycra Jersey Knit - Maggy London; from Fabricmart.  It has 30% stretch.  I picked it up in May 2016 with a coupon so it ended up being $2.84 a yard. This fabric is just the right softness and thin-ness. It is surprisingly warm!

cardi 3

I found some parts of the instructions a bit confusing but I took it slow and watched the pictures.  I had trouble with the last few steps where you attach the back to the front fold over pockets.  I still have no idea what it wanted me to do – something about sewing the fronts by themselves, then the back, I don’t know. I stuck them together and sewed them all at once. 

cardi 4

It is a drop pocket design and there are double front pieces so they act as a full facing.  There aren’t many seams visible on this cardigan either – just the sides and sleeves.  I can’t wait to make a bunch more. 


Happy Sewing!
Kristin

2 comments:

  1. I really love it all. That was a good idea on the one top to use a solid on the back. What a great way to use an expensive fabric with only using it for the one side! I don't think I would have thought to do that, which I will definitely remember in the future for me. :) I have yet to make myself a cardigan, but that is on my fall sewing list. I don't have the pattern you used, but I do have another Jalie one that I have made for one of my girls. I think it uses a little less fabric--maybe 2 yards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! I couldn't waste all my precious "up" fabric!

      Is it the cocoon one that you have? that one is so cute! I don't have that one lol.

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.