Saturday, February 20, 2016

A fail, a stall, and a sneak peak

 Lets start with the fail.

Burda 11/2006 #116


112006116b

I really wanted this top to work out.  I love the line drawing.  The original french terry I wanted to use was way to thin, and I only had 1 yard not 2.  So I went to Hancock's to find new fabric and settled on one of their new sweater knits with a fleece backing.  The pattern calls for sweatshirt material.

redfail3

Unfortunately it sounds nicer than it really is.  The sweater knit part on top tries to stretch but pulls in other places when it does, and the fleece part fights stretching.  This makes for an uncomfortable top!  The arms are too tight. It feels too tight in the stomach.  Plus, I couldn’t figure out the neck directions for anything! 

IMG_5693

If anyone knows how to sew this neck together please let me know.  I’d love to try this top again.  Here is where I’m confused: Turn the allowance out on the slanting front, and collar edges and stitch in place.  What? Am I just flipping the allowance to the outside and sewing so that the raw edge is visible?  In my top here I just folded the raw side to show without sewing anything on the edges.  Or maybe since you are flipping the raw side up you turn the allowances to the right side so that they are really underneath.  I’m just lost; though I think I may have figured it out just now as I typed this out.  If anyone can help clarify…Thanks Burda!

redfail4


And here is a what I’m stalled on.  I am not sure if I like the shirt enough to finish it.  I feel like the fit is a bit off, almost as if the bust and back darts are too low.  I had high hopes for it in the beginning.  The fabric is a loose weave so it has been a pain to sew the collar area because it grows and shifts.  I usually never have UFO’s but this one might end up that way. This is also a Burda pattern.

IMG_5695


Finally, here is a sneak peak of something I’ve been working on for Miss K. 

IMG_5681

I finally have all my supplies ready for Jean making so I plan on doing that next up.  

What have you been sewing?


~Kristin~

4 comments:

  1. Ooh that quilt! I like the top on top (!) but if it's not comfy, it won't get worn, right? I recently bought a similar Style Arc pattern - Kendall top. Might be worth checking out to see if the instructions are any better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! It's my first quilt so it is a tad overwhelming. I'll go check out that pattern, thank you!

      Delete
  2. I recently bought some of that new sweater fleece from Joann's and I made myself a Day Tripper top - it works because it is a loose fitting top. I don't think it would work well for anything fitted. The quilt is beautiful too! I really like your plaid top - I love anything blue. Maybe you can still make it work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more of this fabric in a different pattern; I'll try a looser pattern for that yardage :) I will most likely finish the flannel top just because I can't leave anything unfinished, lol. Thank you Elizabeth!

      Delete

Your comments really make my day! I read each and every one. Thank you!

Sorry for the word verification. I've had too many spammers lately.